PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker 2009

Toad
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Okay, I'm biting the bullet (because Mike made me do it) and setting the date for the Icebreaker on the first weekend in April, which is Saturday the 4th at Barbee Chain. This is far enough out that hopefully everyone can plan for it, but a week before Easter and a week after the Webster club has it's tournament. I've also looked through the bass sites to see if any had a tournament on that weekend and didn't see anything, so hopefully we are good on that date. I'll steal from Muskie addicts playbook from a few years ago for the specifics on time and details.

Meet at the launch on Kuhn at 7:30 and head out at for fishing around 8 am. Lunch at 12:30 at the landing. (Depending on how many people come, it may take a while to get food there, so bring a lunch if you don't want to take a chance of missing time waiting for food when you would rather be fishing.)

Close out the day at 6:00 PM and regroup at the launch to see how everyone did and to critique and judge boat landing skills, lol.

Optional Pool for fun: To anyone who wants to join, we can do $5 bucks into a pot. 1/2 the pot for person who catches biggest fish, and 1/2 the pot for person who catches the most fish. I will make a couple icebreaker t-shirts for the two winners too. Other booby prizes and awards are welcome, (or possibly not welcome, as the case may be) as always.

For anyone who hasn't been to an icebreaker, this is not a tournament, just a fun gathering of guys who like to muskie fish, and anyone is welcome to come and hang out. There are no egos to worry about, just some friendly bashing on occasion so bring your friends, family, and any hot playboy model cousins you may have, and we'll be sure to welcome them all.

We can start the tally below..........

Myself and Half-pint will be there, of course. If you need a partner, or boat partner, shout it out.

Toad

RonSki
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Well Shawn and I will be there for sure. Hopefully I'll have a few fish in the boat before then too :)
As far as the $5 pot for big/most fish, I'm in there too but I think it should be split between biggest and second biggest if nobody catches more than one fish, or even pay 3 places, but that's up to you Toad. One person shouldn't get everything if there's only 2 fish caught by 2 different people. Hopefully we'll all get some and it won't be an issue!!!
I would suggest calling in your order to the Barbee Landing like some have done in years past, unless you're not worried about losing an hour of fishing time. 834-2653 is the number I have for them, not sure if they've changed it in the last 4 years or not though...

mcastor11
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
If the landing is on the channel between big and little, I think its closed. The boss was up there 2 weeks ago and said its closed down. The one on the channel that is.

RonSki
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, thanks for the heads up. There goes lunch I guess. Anybody down there deliver pizza to a boat?? ;)

Vince Weirick
03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
You can always eat at the Barbee Hotel or the pizza place that is attached. They have a pier (not sure if it will be in by that time) on the South end of Little Barbee and you can walk from there.

longknife
03-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Well..that sucks..I will be over on Lake Erie chasing big walleye..You guys have fun.. ;(

J Routt
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll try to be there. My wife will be in Portland all week, so I have to work out the scheduling.

MACK
03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes...it's confirmed that The Landing is closed and for good, not just for the season, with no immediate intetions or abilty to reopen any time soon, until it sells and opens under new management.

As for the weekend of the April 4th...I'm going to see what I can do to try and make that weekend work....gotta move something around to make it happen.

Here's a thought...since The Landing has closed...and there's now the new restaurant at Pie Eyed Pete's on Tippy, with their grand opening to happen sometime in the next couple of weeks...do we want to move this over to Tippy instead? Or keep it Barbee?

RonSki
03-10-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm not answering that one Mack, I think everyone knows my preference. That said, as long as we can get the full gang together, I really don't care where we have it. Pie Eyed Pete's DOES have some good food though ;)

J Routt
03-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Yes, great place to eat with lots of room.

ShawnSki
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
has anybody figured out whether or not were gonna move it to tippy? Or we staying with barbie

Toad
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Tippy it is. Sounds good to me....all of the above apply, except we meet on Tippy... which ramp should we start the day on though?

ShawnSki
03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Well thats a toss up! I guese we should prolly use pie eyed petes. (if we plan on eating there)! Another question is whats the ramp fee at pie eyed petes?

J Routt
03-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll launch at Pete's either way since I'm buying a pass for their ramp. (If I go.) I'll just meet wherever.

RonSki
03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
You're going Routt! Get over it!! and tell anyone who says you're not to call & talk to me dangit!! And Pete's sounds fine to me. I've got a pass at the ballroom, but since we're not taking my boat, it doesn't matter....

Vince Weirick
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Pie Eyed Petey's increased their ramp fees this year to $15 in/out. It is a great ramp and if you plan on using it throughout the year...talk to Roy and ask him for a season pass. You guys might even try to call them and see if you can get a discount for the number of boats that will be launching there.

Their new bar is TOTALLY AWESOME!!! The owners have gone above and beyond decorating it! Their official grand opening won't be until early summer (probably Memorial weekend), but they were doing the finishing touches on it last week.

Toad
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Okay, 15$ in and out is a bit pricey for me. I guess I would prefer it at ballroom ramp, if that's the case, just as long as it is the same price as it was last year. What do you guys think?

MACK
03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay. Looks like I'm "in."

RonSki
03-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Well what else do we get for the $15?? ;) If that's just to put a boat in the water for a day, I vote for the Ballroom. I'm not aware of any price changes there, at least the yearly pass price hasn't gone up for this year so I'm pretty sure it's still $10....

MACK
03-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Someone brought up a good idea though...that if we get a head count as to how many people might show up for this event....maybe....just maybe it'd be worth asking the crew at P.E.P.'s if they'd give us a break on the launch fees for the day, knowing that we're also going to bring some good biz to their new restaurant for lunch for food and beverage.

Worth a shot. Plus....not having any idea of the layout or size of the place....maybe it'd be worth also letting them know how many guys would be eating lunch and to "reserve" some space for us? Not sure how crowded they'd be on a Saturday at noon this early in the year? :shrug:

But...then...Ballroom is fine too. I can go with whatever, wherever, whenever...however....with whomever... :D

mcastor11
03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I should be able to be there. Only thing is I haven't a clue where the Ballroom ramp is. I know where PEP's is at.

Fenski
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
went by pie eyed's and they said if we have lunch there they will let us use there ramp for $5 a boat.

TAN
03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not doing the family spring break thing this year, so I'd like to participate this time.

I'm not very familiar with Tippy, so I'd like to be a net man for someone who knows a little more about these lakes than I do. Does anyone have any space for me?

Otherwise, I can bring my boat if needed.

Thanks!

TAN

J Routt
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I can't make it to the Webster Ice out tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be joining you next weekend.

RonSki
03-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Good to hear you can make it John! What about everyone else? It's been quiet for a while, shouldn't we be taking a head count?? Shawn and I will be there. Someone might catch us crappie fishing, but we'll be there :D

Toad
03-28-2009, 08:10 AM
I'll be there, and halfpint will too. We saw PGA and he said he was probably going to be there too. I ordered the t-shirts, so hopefully they will be in on time. Other than that, I'm ready to go.

J Routt
03-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I'll have the baits that were left over from two years ago. A Slagle and a spinner. I may even have to regift the booby prize from then too.

Toad
03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Hopefully I will have a boat by next weekend, but I don't know if it will be set up yet and ready to go. Otherwise, we'll be in the half-pints vessel.

You can also order your very own 2009 icebreaker t-shirt, if you are so inclined, at the following:

http://www.zazzle.com/logo_2_icebreaker_2009_tshirt-235123716493715282

I think this will work, but I've never set up so we'll see.

MACK
03-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm still in.....

mcastor11
03-30-2009, 05:42 AM
I will be there. Hopefully it wont be as windy..... I know the water came up on Skinner this weekend. They didnt open Tippy and Barbie up until Friday night on the 27th. Water level seemed ok.

MACK
03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Okay, I'm biting the bullet (because Mike made me do it) ......Icebreaker ....April, Saturday the 4th on Tippy.

Meet at the Ballroom launch on Tippy at 7:30 and head out at for fishing around 8 am. Lunch at 12:30 at Pie Eye Petes new Restaurant.

Close out the day at 6:00 PM and regroup at the launch to see how everyone did and to critique and judge boat landing skills, lol.

Optional Pool for fun: To anyone who wants to join, we can do $5 bucks into a pot. 1/2 the pot for person who catches biggest fish, and 1/2 the pot for person who catches the most fish. I will make a couple icebreaker t-shirts for the two winners too. Other booby prizes and awards are welcome, (or possibly not welcome, as the case may be) as always.

Toad

Made a few edits....but...I think it's now current with the new plans...

MACK
03-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Quick question:

Is the main pier at the Ballroom launch installed yet?

Any of the other piers there put in as well to tie up to while waiting for everyone to show up and launch?

Just curious.

hambone
03-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Me and Bryan intend to fish this. Hambone

RonSki
04-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Mack, I'm not sure if the piers are in or not. When we were there a couple weeks ago they were not, but it was really flooded then too We were there the day before they closed the lakes) Haven't been back since. I would guess they'd have them in now, but I don't know for sure...

Mike Ice
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
There were guy's putting in piers on Barbie and Webster last Thurs, Friday and Saturday. I would guess that they are doing the same on Tippy now that it is open too.

Sorry guy's but you picked the wrong weekend for me to join you. Hummmmmm..........now that I think of it, Toad probably planned it that way. LOL!

Have fun and good luck!

Iceman

MACK
04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
What's the latest head-count on this gig?

RonSki
04-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Well, as best I can count theres:
Toad & Hafpint
PGA
Mack
John Routt
Mcastor
Hambone
Shawn And I
Not as much interest as I had hoped but we'll have fun anyway. I just wish we could get the WHOLE gang out there, that means you too ICE!! :)

mcastor11
04-02-2009, 05:47 AM
I cant make it, I have to work this weekend.

All In
04-02-2009, 06:39 AM
I am going to try and be there. I will be late but I will do my best. How is the lake from the flooding? I have never fished Tippy so it will be interesting to say the least.

J Routt
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
TAN will be with me as well.

Mike Ice
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Well Ronchyski. LOL! I would love to be there with you guy's and the original gang but I knew it would not fly with wifeypoo that I would be gone two Saturday's in a row. I had committed to the Ice Out way before this was getting dialed in and that is why I suggested to you and Toad that we do it the second weekend in April. I'll be there in spirit. I am definately going to miss participating in this. Have fun and good luck all!

Iceman

RonSki
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Well Mr Icicle :) I just plain forgot which particular week you could make it and really, it was all Toads decision so I have nothing to do with it :D So let's plan on NEXT YEAR April 3rd, does that give you enough time to make plans? Get a babysitter & bring the wife. Crappies are biting too ya know LOL!!
All tongue in cheek of course :D

MACK
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I might not be there at all now.

Long and unhappy story short:

Two sick kids, I'm spending my day off here at work in the office waiting on a second contractor to come out to my house to inspect a leak that is leaking water in our first floor through our ceiling fan from the past two rains, the one this past Sat night and the storm from last night.

i'm not happy.

If I'm there tomorrow and see you all; great. If I'm not there, sorry, you know why.

The joys of being a parent and a homeowner. Those two things trump fishing every time.

pgaschulz
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I did not think I would make it but now I am in....leaving for Bruce today my sewers were just put in going to check that out and getting the boat cleaned up from last week's fishing...Will have a special guest with me....sorry can not spoil the suprise.....

pgaschulz

PS You are right about the crappies ronny ski

MACK
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Stick a big'un guys! Call me if anything good happens. I'll be there in spirit. Got too much stuff on my end to deal with this weekend.

RonSki
04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, it was cold, but exactly as I had expected. Pretty dead. I got a 42 over open water on a goldfish of all things and that was the only fish caught. Even the crappies weren't biting, that surprised me a bit. Still a fun day though...
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/Bigfishchaser/P1010782.jpg

MACK
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice job on the fish Ronski! Congrats!

Nice 'n thick there with 'ole bug-eyes! ;)

Mike Ice
04-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Nice fish Ronski but what the hell did you do to it?

RonSki
04-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Mike, I saw it swimming on top of the water so I hit it in the head with a pounder and netted it ;) At least it seemed like that was the only way to get one to bite. Really, that fish almost pulled my rod in. I must have moved my rod somehow and engaged the reel and I heard it bounce a couple times and looked back to see it bent over. Another few seconds and it would have been gone. Good thing I've got rod holders for my boat now!

Toad
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, Ronski got another t-shirt again. I was too busy trying to sink my boat to catch any fish, but I did manage to catch one. Ronski said there were no other fish caught, but that's not true. I caught a billy bass, so there. TThhhhppppptttttt. And I didn't have to resort to using goldfish as bait, which I'm pretty sure is prohibited in an old icebreaker by-law somewhere. Lincoln vs. goldfish, maybe, or perhaps even earlier. Ceasar vs Goldfish, I believe..... The rest of us also didn't stoop to getting our fish off the short bus either. Seriously Ronski, leave the poor blind fish alone for a change.

All in all it was a good time on the water in spite of the fishing. Once again, the day started off with a bass tournament jamming up the ramp. But we switched to pie-eyed and didn't let it hamper our day. Everyone helped me out with the inaugural launch of my new boat, which was a really good thing, considering. The drain plug wasn't in, so I had to take it out and drain the boat for a time, something that I would not have noticed if I didn't have twenty people assuming that I didn't know what I was doing. Ironically, I was doing the king of the world stance on the front of the boat earlier, so I guess I almost repeated the titanic movie on Saturday for real. Good thing I had so many guys to tell me how bad I was screwing up, lol.

Lunch was great, that bar at Pie-eyed petes is really nice. Hopefully we can make Ronski happy and do a night outing in june up there sometime. I for one, am sick of the cold muskie outings all the time, lol.

Here are some pics from Saturday, including my "other" fish. I should have weighed it in at the bass tournament, lol. Also a pic of my boat taking a morning leak so to speak. Also a nice picture of me with my new boat on the water. Well, almost nice, except for the annoying passenger next to me. Who is that dbag?

I think JOhn has some more pictures, but not for sure. Let's see them if you do John boy. It was a good time and good to get out and see some of the guys. Next time maybe some fish for a change?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Muskie_Toad/bass.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Muskie_Toad/IMG_4920.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Muskie_Toad/100_4315.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Muskie_Toad/100_431G5x7.jpg

RonSki
04-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Toad, A goldfish in the water is better than a sucker in the livewell. And in the Icebreaker bylaws it also states that bass, crappies, and any fish other than muskies, don't count. Nice bass though so I'll give you second place :)
The morning show was worth being there all by itself, thanks Toad for the entertainment. Better for us to laugh at you while it's still on the trailer than after it's sinking! Just part of the learning curve, no harm meant.
And on the topic of the June night outing, I'm just putting it out there so that maybe, just maybe, we can have an outing where there's more than one or two fish caught. I think we'd have much better odds then. If nobody else wants to do it, that's fine. I'll be out there by mysef then. No biggie....

J Routt
04-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Sorrry toad, no more pictures. It was a good time for sure. We all know how the maiden voyage is on a new boat, that's why I asked if the plug was in. If you haven't launched a boat without a plug, you're either a liar or haven't owned a boat very long.
By the way Toad, when you fish with bass baits you're going to catch bass. ;)

MACK
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Nice bass Toad!

Nice boat too! Congrats!

You were just testing the boat's ability to stay afloat while taking on water, weren't you? Just seeing if Ranger did it's job correctly to add in enough foam in all the right places to see if the boat take on a full load of water, if it still stays afloat, for the most part. I don't blame ya. Better to know the boat's abilities while you're in a controlled environment with plenty of help standing by and in shallow water. ;)

Night outing in June? I want in. I can't miss another outing. Missing one is one too many.

RonSki
04-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Sorry Mack, your kids will be sick that day I'm sure....:rolleyes:

MACK
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Yeaup. Of course they will. Don't you know it. *sigh*

Trust me...I can already place my bets that my kids will get sick again next on Monday, May 11th. Why that date? Because the Classic is that weekend. Go figure.