PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Lake Musky

ttabaleulb
03-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Once the ice is off, do you guys have any recommendations for lure presentations in the cold water. I am figuring to keep the baits relatively slow and will try the smaller sizes along with "normal" size baits. This will be my first gig fishing right at ice-out, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I realize that these fish will probably not really get going until the water temps jump a bit, but I just HAVE to get out on the water. :)

Jay

Joe M
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Use the lures that you catch fish on all year. Just slow down the presentation. If you put it the strike zone they will eat it. They will eat a bass lure or a plow at this time of year. You watch in the papers how many worm dunkers get skis this month. I was hoping to get out but just got out of the hospital last night and my baby girl gets baptized tomorrow. Hopefully next week. Good luck.

ttabaleulb
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the tips. My trip was uneventful, at least from the Musky side of things. There was a steady wind of about 15mph with some really awesome gusts. Made for some great fun getting the boat on and off the trailer. :)

Overall, it was GREAT just to find some open water and run through the processes. I think there should be a new fitness video produced called "the Figure-8 and you". It never ceases to amaze me the muscle groups involved in that maneuver when using a 6'10" rod!! LOL

'Dawgs and Blades were all that I threw. I wanted to practice a few "new" techniques that I picked up over the Winter. Between the wind and dodging sheets of ice, it wasn't as much a fishing trip as it was a hopeful freedom from Cabin Fever. I will say this, it was more than enough to get the blood and brain working overtime to get things rolling.

I am very tempted to use some vacation time already. However, I am going to wait for the water to get into the 50's/60's before I start doing that. I still hope to have some vacation left for the Fall fishing this year.

NitroMusky
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
way to go gettng out there TT...I'm living vicariously through you- keep up the reports! our tiger season closes on sunday and I don't think I will have open water by then.

maybe you will see me on the res in a few weeks. I just can't wait either...

ttabaleulb
03-10-2009, 09:28 AM
As long as the temps don't drop too far to start building more ice, I plan to be out again this weekend. Now that I have one trek out, I can't stop!! LOL It was just too fantastic to be on the water again. Now I just need to find some fish and things will really take off.

Gotta get one of my rigs lined with some new 80# line this week and look out Musky!!!