PDA

View Full Version : trolling deptraiders, regular vs countdown

tomcat
03-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Do Countdown DepthRaiders troll any deeper than normal depthraiders?

does anyone know how deep a depth raider will troll with 50 feet of 80 pound braid on vs 100 feet of 80 pound braid?

Do the jointed and straight depthraiders troll the same depth or does one dive deeper?

someone's gotta know around here...

ScottW
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
tomcat,
this had me wondering so I went to Roberts/Bucher's site where I knew they would share all the research and field trials info.

I'm sure you'll find this most enlightening and it will answer all your questions.

Here is the secret formula, don't tell anyone

To get deeper let out more line, to fish shallower pull in some line. Ahh Hah!!

Go to the 2nd page on Musker Hunter forum & there is a small discussion from guys trolling the St. Lawrence, not exactly what your looking for but those guys should know, I think.

And don't forget Buck Perry's wisdom: The fish are either deep, shallow or somewhere in between!!! Just keep your lure inthe water I guess.

tomcat
03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
hey Scott..i saw that on thier website too...brilliant.
neat...i thought someone on here might have that Mike's Trolling book or something with the dive curves in them??
when i get the bottom of this i'll report for everyone...but in the mean time..if anyone knows i would love to know.

mseybert
03-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Tomcat, According to the charts:

jointed d-raider 53' of 80# braid=10' deep
jointed d-raider 107' of 80# braid=20' deep

straight d-raider 56' of 80# braid=12' deep
straight d-raider 98' of 80# braid=20' deep

They do not list depths for the count down ones. BAby depth raider has the same pattern, but doesn't go as deep.

You had helped me with some info for a lake I fished in Canada, so I wanted to return the favor). If you need me to look anything else up, shoot me an email. mcseybert@yahoo.com