PDA

View Full Version : What Reel

Zmuda5
03-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I know this has probably been talked about 100 times on this board.

But I'm 15 and I just had by birthday. So I have some extra cash from it. I already bought a nice rod from basspro with the money. A Pete Mania signature series rod that is 8'6" extra heavy. I already have a gander mountain reel but I dont think it can handle a magnum dawg or anything like that.

So the question is what reel should I buy to go along with this. Again Im only 15 so I dont have enough for a Diawa Luna or anything nice like that. I would be looking to spend around $100 but may be able to get $20 from my parents.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom Zmuda

AFchris
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey Tom,

Happy B-day bud, Nothing like spending your b-day $$$ on musky stuff.I have a pete maina combo with the 5:2:1 reel and love it. I just picked up another rod from st. croix and been doing some research myself on a new baitcasting reel. I've heard a lot of good reviews for the okuma induron idx. But don't rule out the mania reel! they have them on sale at bass pro during the annual spring sale for 79.99!!! if your looking to save some money and get a pretty good bang for your buck you can't go wrong with the maina reel. Plus i don't think you'll have any trouble chucking the magnum dawg on that combo. But if you can squize a lil $$$ out of your p's I would take a look at the okuma. Good luck bud!

DanJ
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I've had 4 of those maina reels from bass pro. One of them still works great, but the other 3 not so much. They are nice because they come with the power handle. For my money you can't beat Shimano reels. You can get a shimano cardiff 400a for $120.

Zmuda5
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey Tom,

Happy B-day bud, Nothing like spending your b-day $$$ on musky stuff.I have a pete maina combo with the 5:2:1 reel and love it. I just picked up another rod from st. croix and been doing some research myself on a new baitcasting reel. I've heard a lot of good reviews for the okuma induron idx. But don't rule out the mania reel! they have them on sale at bass pro during the annual spring sale for 79.99!!! if your looking to save some money and get a pretty good bang for your buck you can't go wrong with the maina reel. Plus i don't think you'll have any trouble chucking the magnum dawg on that combo. But if you can squize a lil $$$ out of your p's I would take a look at the okuma. Good luck bud!
Thanks a lot for all of the help. I saw that Mania reel. It went on sale the day after I got my rod, to bad It wasn't the same day or I would have bought it. I was looking at the okuma induron idx, they look like nice reels. One question, were you looking at the 400lxa or the 250 lxa? Im thinking for $10 more why not go up a grade. I cheapest I found the reel was $110. Is that what you have been seeing it at?

Thanks again,
Tom Zmuda

AFchris
03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm personally gunna grab the 400lxa with the power handle. Its only like 10 extra bucks for the power handle, I was informed it makes a world of differnce. The price you mentioned is about right. Let me know what you end up doing, and if you do pick it up what ya think.

chris

Zmuda5
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm personally gunna grab the 400lxa with the power handle. Its only like 10 extra bucks for the power handle, I was informed it makes a world of differnce. The price you mentioned is about right. Let me know what you end up doing, and if you do pick it up what ya think.

chris

Thanks, these are the two I'm leaning towards.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20331&id=0011736116477a&navCount=2&podId=0011736&parentId=cat20331&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

and this Maina reel that is 20% off
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45033_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1

What one do you think is better?