PDA

View Full Version : Pike Tourney/Weed Line

Snizz
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I think the Chooch and I are going to fish the Musky Tale Resort, Northern Encounter!

My question is, how do you catch Pike? I know I have caught them, but I wasn't "trying" to...Do you use different baits like large spoons and crankbaits?
I am assuming scissor baits work well...

Is the water still relatively clear? (If it is still clear, would you throw lighter colors, even white?)

Do you look for weed growth for Pike too? I am assuming yes, because predators follow baitfish...but what if there is sagging weed growth? (Would you still hit "muskie" spots or would you try bass/walleye spots?)

Thanks TY! you are the man!

andracke
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Did somebody say Northern Tournament???

I got my flyer yesterday and went bonkers!!!

I am so thirsty!!! Bring on the Lemon Drops - Sennett Brothers!!

Jason L.
02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Scissor Bait!!!

twells
02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I might look into this tourney this year. Sounds like a lot of fun. We have been known to be pike masters but that is generally when we are Musky fishing. 1 thing I noticed on Musky Tales Resorts wevsite is that it say Musky is open May 2-22 for catch and release only. I am correct in guessing that this is a error and the season doesn't open until May 23rd.

RobertTB
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Snizz, When I go out to target Pike, I use bass gear and throw spinner baits behind a light steel leader. They also seem to like smaller sized Mepps. Got 'em on smaller sized bucktails too. Have had 'em nail a big floating Rapala as well. I fish the same spots I fish Muskie.

Last few years, I've got more Pike on a Suick than anything else when I was throwin' for Musky.

Cold Front
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Was gonna mention the suick thing. I caught a ton of pike on a black suick last year. The husky jerk worked slow will take pike opening weekend also smaller crank baits (shad rap, DT's) on the steep drops out from weedbeds. Caught a bunch in James Lake opener two years ago.

Cold Front

twells
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Johnson silver minnows tipped with a twister tail have been hot early in the season. Next best thing for us has been small bucktails and then rapalas. All worked in the weeds. The coolest thing was reeling a 24" northern and having a 45" musky t-bone the northern. That was fun and the musky finally tired of playing let go of the fish. No net in the boat since it saw opening weekend of regular opener.

Ty Sennett
02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
If you really want to win the tourney you have to use live bait. We used to do well on artificials before the bait shops started selling bigger suckers at that time of year. We always placed in the top three until the live bait thing kicked in. Now the top places are always on live bait. It's very boring but the pike are larger on live bait.

Look for outside weedlines in Chief, Crane, and James Slough. That's where the tourney is won every year.

Go get em' Snizz. Pike on!

Jason L.
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
What are the rules for the tourney?

Bag limit? Size?

If any.

Ty Sennett
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Each team brings in five pike per day of any size. The biggest total weight wins. They usually pay out to tenth place if I remember right.

Snizz
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
i think i can swing 5 decent pike a day ;)

What about the ice? I hear it is still almost 3 feet thick! Do you think it is possible for the ice to not dissipate by tourney time?

Jason L.
03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Snizz,

The ice will "dissipate" by tourney time. But if it "dissipates" as late as last year I am guessing you're gonna get a "sagging weed growth".

Ty Sennett
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Dissipate? Don't you go get smart on us Snizz!

The ice will be gone for sure by then. It usually goes in mid April or early April.

Snizz
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Mid May =

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/images/2009/01/10/iceberlinandreasrentzgetty.jpg

Jason L.
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Snizz,
When did you do that?

CRAPPIANO
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Toga Toga Toga Toga Toga !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!