PDA

View Full Version : mouth of the white fish

just fish
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
does anybody fish around the rapid boat launch and straight over to where the white fish goes into the bay or is that a no-no

Mikew2009
02-25-2009, 08:49 PM
I have fished there quite a few times in about 10 foot of water. have done pretty good there using size 7 jigging raps. Use caution though a bit of current runs through there! good luck! Mikew2009

Kevin Lee
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Use extreme caution in the rivermouth of the Whitefish (all of them actually). I'm actually surprised the river has not opened up yet at the mouth as there is still loads of extra current from the warm-up and rain we had a short time ago. We used to ride the Rapid River right out to the bay from here at the resort. But not anymore since the water level dropped. The low water has caused the current to be constricted resulting in far less ice. A few years ago I was hauling six guys back in one night after guiding them for the day. We had just experienced a short two day warm-up the previous two days. Anyway, while crossing the river, I noticed some small holes along the sides of my snowmobile trail. The next morning I walked out and checked the ice. Holy heart attack Robin!!! I broke through with only 1 hit of the spud. I haven't crossed that river since! It only took a couple day warm-up for the ice to go from a solid foot to just a couple inches...

just fish
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
i kinda of thought it might be a touchy spot because of current and i don't go anywhere that i think might be hazardous to my health. after all open water comes around every 6 months.