PDA

View Full Version : Penn International 975 vs. Calcutta 400TE

Marc Reynolds
02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
After talking with Mike this winter I was going to buy the Penn 975 with my Tax return because I justed couldn't afford the TE. Well Uncle Sam was a little generous this year, so I have a little more money to play around with. So now I'm debating between the Penn and the 400TE. Any suggestions? I have heard good things about the Penn from Mike and others online, and I have heard really good things about the TE. I'm looking for a good versatile reel that I can match with my new 8'6" Professional edge rod I had made this past fall.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Ifishtolive
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
This discussion has been on Musky Hunter forum alot this year. They say if you want to burn them Daiwa's Saltist you can get it in 6:4:1 or 5:3:1. To me if your just normal retrieving and some Burning the TE in the 400 is 5:3:1 and so is the Luna by Daiwa. I compared over and over and just couldn't go the $300 for the TE 400, or $250 for the Luna. Ibought 2 Pflueger Trion 66L's
one for dbl 10's and one for pounders. I put some pretty decent hours on them this fall no major problems with them, once every so often the handle would engage but I think that was due to a bad cast. I put the Abu Pwer handles on them and they work great! Even used em on a Figure Eight Lucky thirteen and wasn't much different than tens. Go to diawa.com they have a new reel comung out called the Proton looks cool! You can check out the Saltist too, but if your a lefty your screwed! Good Luck!!

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!

Buddy Ellenburg

Marc Reynolds
02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I have looked at the Saltist's but from what I have heard they aren't very versatile. They are pretty much just for burning cowgirls and supermodels. I like a normal retrieve and then when I see a fish coming that is when I like to really speed it up. I really want something I can use for other baits other then just big blades though.

Thanks for your input. I will check out the Pflueger's.

Marc

Ifishtolive
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Marc if you compare the Trion 66, St. Croix AC300, Luna, Induron, they're all one piece frame 5:3:1 or 5:1:1 geared. I looked at the Induron and I like the Trion a little better. I too wanted a real for other applications. If you've burned a cowgirl four five or six hours and no fish I'm going to something else. That's why I think a Pflueger is a good choice it's good for cranks, jerks, regular spinnerbaits. I put some 10 and twelve blades on some Strike King muskie spinnerbaits and Northland musky buck spinnerbaits and the 66 is perfect. To me for various types of baits, the only difference is $150-$200.

Buddy Ellenburg

tomcat
02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
to me..the calcutta te is the premier musky fishing reel. I also own a Penn 975.i really like the Penn 975..and i really like the TE.
i have not had the Penn long enough to see how it holds up though.

Shimano 110% takes care of thier TE customers. If you have a problem with your TE, just mail it back to thier factory in California and they will have it back to you within 48 hours of them recieving it. THis is what they provide for all TE customers and they do not over charge you for fixing stuff. thier rates are really reasonable for service and maintenance.
nothing smoother and more comfortable than a TE...
The Penn 975 i have liked so far as well. both do well for hard pulling baits.

if you are normally not in a position to buy a TE..but now you are, get it!!! you can always get a PENN next year, right?? exactly.
so..if this is kind of a splurge for you..and you are treating yourself to somethign super nice..get the TE. no one is ever gonna say "i regret buying a TE"..they are awesome reels. you'll have it forever and everytime you throw it you'll realize who shoddy your other reels are!!

seabass
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
A few years ago my TE seized up. I sent it back, expecting to have to pay for repairs. They sent me an entirely brand new one to replace one that was several years old by then.

The new one has been great, by the way.