PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing

andyf
02-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Ty,
Coming up to the Big Chip in late July staying at Deerefoot, can you or anyone else give my some pointers on where to fish for smallmouth or largemouth bass that time of year? Not looking for anyones "hot spots" just some pointers like off points in 6'-10' stuff like that. May have a chance to try some walleyes too any pointers?

Thx,
Andy

Trav
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
We've always had luck for smallmouths fishing the shaded, rocky shorelines on the East half of the lake with crankbaits. Not so much sandy areas, but rocks. I would think plastics would work well for them too. Never really tried for largemouth, but they are abundant on the Chip, some say too much so.

Good luck.

Trav

JerryL
02-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Hello,
We come up around the same time and there is pretty good smallie fishing on that side of the bridge got along pretty good throwing 3 inch white tubes along stumps and rock shelves in that depth range. Also thow tubes or senko worms under docks and stumps on the west side for some largemouth and work through lilly pads. I hope this helps.

JerryL

Ty Sennett
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
For smallies try the far east side of the lake. Any rocky shoreline will be a good place to start. Sometimes you find them in some of the old stumpy areas. Jump around a lot because the smallies are always in one place one day and gone the next.Spinnerbaits and tubes work great for them. In the evening, topwater like buzzbaits and better yet slower baits like spooks and tiny torpedo's work good. The smallies tend not to go into the thick weeds as much as largemouth also.

For largemouth, the west side will have more than the east. There are a few good back bays on the east but for the most part the west has higher numbers. Try weedless plastics and topwater in really shallow areas. Plastic rats and moss boss's are the best. Throw a texas rigged worm after you miss the bass on topwater because you ARE going to miss.:mad: On overcast days you can get some out in the weeds on spinnerbaits but for the most part stay shallow and you'll get more. There are a lot of three pound bass in the Chip. The numbers aren't as high as they were back in the mid eighties but not far off. Don't listen to the DNR saying to keep the bass you catch. That's their way to blame the bass for their own lack of stocking.

andyf
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you everyone for all the info it will be helpful.
Also I enjoy reading everybody's post on this page, you can pick up alot of great info.

COME ON SPRING!

Andy

ALVW
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Don't listen to the DNR saying to keep the bass you catch. That's their way to blame the bass for their own lack of stocking.

Amen!!! I do not mean to bash the DNR, but I definitely think the Ws. DNR is not nearly as progressive or aggressive with their stocking programs as many other states.

Ty Sennett
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
It's only going to get worse with the VHS virus.