PDA

View Full Version : Pete Maina

Snizz
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
There is a reel that is on sale at Bass Pro Shop this weekend...

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/70500/70632.jpg

and it is 20% off this weekend...

anyone used one of these? it would not be my "main" reel...just a hot spare...comments concerns?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45033____SearchResults

looks like there are a few good reviews...

Ty Sennett
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Those are actually pretty good reels. If you switch out the handle it would be hard to tell the difference between some of the high priced ones.

Snizz
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
doesn't look like they make them with a left hand reel...:(

Ryan M
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I used one for double tens last year with the power handle and was pleasantly surprised. Other than the powerhandle itself bending once or twice while setting the hook (that's right), the thing was great. They have a good over the counter (or through the mail) warranty too. I'd recommend them for a back up.

Oh yeah, I think they actually might be Pfluegers. Not sure, just a hunch.

CMK
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Does the sale start on Friday? And is it 20% off the price shown in the link? That would be a pretty good deal !!

Snizz
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, February 27th through March 15...

Click here for details! (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=163&option=3&template=circular.cfm&catalog=sfc40_insert_tab&rfx_versioningid=003&storeID=19)

makins117
02-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Also, don't forget that if you have an old reel that you don't want anymore and it still works you can trade it in for an additional $15 off that reel. The trade in program is running from February 27 to March 4. So you would essentially be getting 35% off the original price. You can find the details of that reel trade in on the back page of the circular link below.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=163&option=3&template=circular.cfm&catalog=sfc40_09_tab&rfx_versioningid=003&storeID=19

Musky Chuck
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
How does this reel compare to an abu garcia ambassador C4? Kind of got me thinking about purchasing one for throwing bucktails.

Jesse Claflin
02-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I have had a couple of these, they were very good but the problem is there is no parts for repair. The first one my wife used and it lasted 1 season, sent it in to with the other reals to get cleaned after the season and their was a bunch of stuff broke that they could not get parts for.

Ty Sennett
02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
That's kind of weird that you can't get parts. Something doesn't sound right with that. I've never seen a reel that you couldn't get parts for. Hmmmmm.....weird!

Jesse Claflin
02-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I thought the same thing but they said they were basically a throw away reel. I dont want to name companys but they are very well known. They told me that the way bass pro shops does their reels is they order a certain number of reels and whoever makes them does not make extra parts. I hope I am wrong because I like the reel alot, if anyone knows where to get one repaired please let me know.

alonzo buck
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
The “throw-away” concept is starting to become more common in a lot of retailing & merchandising ranging from sports items to electronics. Many HD TV’s and GPS units sold in the last few months at almost to good to be true prices are examples. They are great until you need to get them repaired and you find out they can’t be repaired. Many consumers are surprised because they are some of the top brand names, not generic rip-offs. As the economy continues to tank, you are going to see manufacturers producing cheaper, lower quality products to keep the price points lower and more affordable. We are going to have to be more careful in purchases as the old brand names will not necessarily mean good quality. I have faith that Sennett Tackle will retain its high standards.

jkahler
03-01-2009, 03:26 AM
How does this reel compare to an abu garcia ambassador C4? Kind of got me thinking about purchasing one for throwing bucktails.

Bucktails on a C4 is like reeling in a drift sock. They're better for jerkbaits and gliders/wtd baits.

Josh Guthrie
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I think the deal is that you can't get parts for the old reels. I had an old Pete Maina reel that was black. When I tried to get parts for it a couple of years ago they said that they didn't have parts for the old style. To my knowledge they still have parts for the new ones (gold reel). The only problems I have had with them is the worm gear and pawls, which is basically standard wear for a reel. I think they are great reels for the price. Hope this helps.

Josh

deantre
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I have had some midpriced abu spinning reels that I could not get one key part for though my old 408's had them readily available. They gave me a discount on another model they came out with, imagine that one won't have parts either. Had the same luck with some bass pro spinning reels.
Would imagine a special knock off like the mania reel could run into the same problems.

Snizz
03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
...and now I know why I paid for a Calcutta 401, you send in your reel, and they fix everything...it's like getting a brand new reel and that is worth it...I had to send it in cuz the gearing locked up and by the next week I was good to go...you get what you pay for...

makins117
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I think the good part about the Bass Pro reels is that if it breaks for any reason in the first year they just replace it. You walk in with a broken reel and walk out with a new one. And for a small amount you can get a full 3 years of coverage. So even if the reel ends up failing you can get a replacement. I bought mine this weekend, with the trade-in credit, for $65.

Ty Sennett
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
That's some pretty good coverage for a reel. I don't know too many companies that would stand behind their products like that.

Ryan M
03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I had the levelwind stop working on my Pete Maina a couple years ago, I was actually in the boat with Ty when it happened. I think he might have broke it when I wasn't looking. Anyways, I sent it in and got a brand new reel. No questions asked, and that includes asking when I bought it. I have noticed this with several other manufacturers, where they have a time constraint on their warranty but they never ask for a date of purchase.

Good customer service goes a long ways. That's why I'm on this board giving them the thumbs up.

Esox Chaser
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I believe Ryan is correct.
The reels are supposed to be Pfluegers. I bought a low profile "Maina" reel with a 7' "Maina" rod for my wife to use because the round reels were a little too big for her hand and she really likes it. Don't know how long it would stand up to everyday usage but Mr. Dorazio used it for about half an hour last summer throwing bucktails and didn't have any problems with it. His one comment was "Pretty good for spare parts from Pete's shed!" ;-) FYI- I have a Calcutta 250 that my wife used to use but this fits her hand better so this what she prefers now.

Ty Sennett
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
"Spare parts from Pete's shed". That's pretty good. Sounds like Dave's humor.

Esox Chaser
03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Dave was probably thinking about all the reels he has accumulated over the years and....... :-)