PDA

View Full Version : Mine ponds up M69

firemrshllbill
02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I was curious is anyone knew how to get to the mine ponds? We are looking at going fishing there and not exactly sure how to get there.

Thanks in advance

vertigo
02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Ther are several ponds to fish and several ways to get there. I moved from the area a few years ago and have not been there since but the easiest way i believe would be to come in from Randville across from the bar. They should be able to tell you if you can get aroun with a vehicle or if you need a snowmobile.
Verigo

firemrshllbill
02-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Haha ok thanks... only problem with that is we are starting off at a bar! We wont end up doing any fishing.

pikeman
02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
what direction or town you coming from?

The Bait Shop Guy
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Basic DNR map to get you in the ball park http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/viewingguide/up/16Groveland/index.htm

Somebody had emailed me this hand drawn map last winter, showing the back roads a little better.

pikeman
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
If you are coming from esky just follow 69 a couple of miles past felch and take a left on old m69/groveland mine rd. Follow that until you come to a stop sign. If you take a left 15 ft past the stop sign that gravel rd will take you to the big lake(5 miles). If you go straight and follow the road and go in left of the gate you will follow a gravel road that take you to the other 3 lakes.

bottle_bass
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Does anyone have a current report for the ponds. Also wondering what species are in what ponds.

birddog94
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Can't give a recent report.Was up thier about 4 weeks ago. Hammerd the crappie. Nice sizes-12-16 inches... West end of the west pond.. 11 fow.As far as species...in most ponds walleye, small and large mouth bass,crappie,bluegill..Have heard of a muskie or 2 caught...Notherns also..Have to remember there are 4 ponds..we never really fished the first one coming in from Randville bar area...always fished the west pond when you come to the ones with the dike between them... Can't tell you about getting around..Hope that helps

bottle_bass
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Is the west one the one with the fishing piers? I've fished that one before and did good on bluegills.

birddog94
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
As far as I know that is the first pond..Concrete poured walls? If so you have to keep driving. you'll know when you get to the 2 ponds one on each side of the road.. the road to get to the west pond is about 100 yards before you get to the dike..you have to turn to thr right,down a very narrow road I would recommend 4 wheel drive to get out..Have to go to the far west shore..If you know where the boat landing is for this pond,start fishing on that shore and work you way across the center of the pond..

firemrshllbill
02-24-2009, 07:47 AM
We are coming from LaBranche... Thanks for all the info! I will give ya a report on Monday. Anything special lures you guys use out there?

bottle_bass
02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Birddog94,

My son and I fished the first lake last year and did very good on bluegill. Wed like to try for some crappie. Any prefered bait? We just used spikes and waxworms in the past.

birddog94
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I was using what is called a little nipper...16.oz jig---with hair...and crappie minnows.... some guys were using small plain gold hooks tipped with a minnow, Good luck.

birddog94
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Should have mentioned the bite a month ago started just before dark and ran about 3 hrs after sunset. Also heard that crappies have been biting on Gene's pond...Haven't fished there yet.:)