PDA

View Full Version : Walleye season closes March 15th

The Bait Shop Guy
02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Just a reminder, the walleye/pike season in the U.P. now closes on March 15th. Season used to close the last day of February.

pinnowc
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm coming up this weekend and again the weekend of the closer March 13, 14& 15th

Given the past experiences with getting 5"-6" suckers, how likely is it that the sucker supply will be gone by the closing weekend? We've always done well in the past with them, but last year was the 1st year that we weren't able to get suckers on the closing weekend.

Chris - would it be possible to purchase a couple dozen suckers and pay for them on 2/28 when I'm up there? Can you guarantee me some suckers if I pay in advance?

Also, what are the rules as far as bait goes. I'm coming from Wisconsin and if I buy suckers up there this weekend and take them home with me, can I bring them back up, if I don't do any fishing at home with them while I'm there. Just keep them alive in the same bucket with an aerator? They would only be used on Little Bay de Noc.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

The Bait Shop Guy
02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Hard to say what's going to happen with the suckers. Supply is good now, but who knows what it'll be like in 2 1/2 weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the season close in Wisconsin the end of February? Since our bait supplier is out of Wisconsin, I don't know if they'll even have any after your season closes.

We are pretty limited for tank space, so there's no way we could hold minnows for 2 weeks. Kind of a "Catch 22" for us, too. We'd like to have plenty of bait on hand for fishermen, but we don't want to be stuck with a lot of extras we can't get rid of after the season closes.

With all the new VHS regs, you can't legally take minnows across the border anymore. Best thing would be to call us a day or two before you come up and we'll let you know for sure. If we find out we won't be getting anymore for the season, I'll post something here to let you all know.

pinnowc
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info. You pretty much confirmed what I already had in mind. I didn't figure I could legally transport them back and wouldn't risk it anyway. I also didn't think it would end up being worthwhile for you to hold any. I guess we'll just have to force those big girls to eat goldens instead.

Your correct that the Wisconsin season also closes the end of February statewide, with the exception of Green Bay, Winnebago, the Mississippi River and a few other areas.

Thanks,

Chad

swilmot1
02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
how are the ice conditions by you?

pinnowc
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Chris,

I'm still planning to head up and be there at daylight in tomorrow morning. Can you post something about the ice conditions later today, so i know what to expect. I see you guys only got 5 or so inches of snow, so I'm guessing truck travel should be fine.

Also, on a side note. Are there any cracks that a guy needs to be worried about heading straight across the bay from Kipling? I have a spot over there that I want to start at tomorrow and will probably be going out in the dark.

Thanks,

Chad

The Bait Shop Guy
02-27-2009, 12:13 PM
We got about 5 inches of snow, but it was was/is really windy. One guy stopped by the shop on his way back in from fishing off the Terrace. He said the drifts were pretty bad. You're OK as long as you have a good 4 wheel drive and keep moving. It would be a good idea to have at least one other person along with you to help push/shovel if you get stuck.

No cracks or heaves that I'm aware of in that part of the bay. You'll want to stay away from the the area around the reef that runs N.E from Butlers Island. Better off to drive right over the island. Also, it would be a good idea to bring a GPS or compass along to help keep you from getting turned around in the dark and possibly heading towards Saunder's Point. Always bad ice there.

Good luck and keep safe this weekend.

pinnowc
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my partner for the day had to back out, so I will be alone, but I always have the GPS along and have all the exits and areas marked, so I shouldn't have a problem getting around and knowing where I'm at. Got a good 4wd and just put new snow/mud tires on, so good to go there, too.

I appreciate your help.

Chad