PDA

View Full Version : Hunters Point

j&z platt
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Can any one tell me about ice conditions and the fishing off of the ramp area.

Enterprise
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Ice conditions are excellent and you should have no trouble at the launch. We've gotten a good shot a snow, but most should have blown off the ice with the high winds afterward. Only got a few undersized eyes fishing between the break and the mud flats but had 18" + of solid ice. Fishing has been better more toward Kipling, but there's more people fishing there. Good luck.

Steve

Enterprise
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Should have mentioned, in case you don't know, stay away from Saunder's Point, which is directly across from Hunters. There is considerable current and eddy there. Its nicknamed Deadman's point for good reason. Many people have drowned there over the years, both winter and summer, and many people have driven into the open water that is created there. Stay away from that area.

Kevin Lee
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Also use extreme caution off Squaw Point as it does not freeze good there either due to the currents...

birddog94
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Does anyone ever mark these spots with small spruce trees or anything else?

The Bait Shop Guy
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
You'd need a small forest of trees to mark off the "bad" areas to stay away from around the points. Don't get any closer to them than any other shacks or vehicles you see out there and you SHOULD be safe. A little common sense will go a long way towards keeping your feet dry.

befishin
02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
I know where Hunter's and Saunder's is but...

Where is Squaw Point?

Kevin Lee
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Squaw Point is straight across from the Gladstone Yacht Harbor. It's maybe a mile south of Hunter's Point on the east side...

befishin
02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
OK - so if I stay north of Hunters I will be OK until I get close to the rivers - correct?

Enterprise
02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
That would be correct. Once again, though, always use caution and keep your eyes peeled. Be carefull of approaching storms that could cause whiteouts to get lost in (unless you have a color GPS plotter which helps) and/or fog. Those two things can also get you turned around and headed for a place you don't want to go.

befishin
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Even with the Lowrance h2o, I have the compass ready too, just like in the boat.

You never know when you'll forget your power cord and your batteries go dead.

Enterprise
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Smart man. I see I'm preachin' to the choir! I'll say this too....this ice fishing thing is OK, but nothing like the open waters of Green Bay in June. C'mon SPRING!

j&z platt
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info.