PDA

View Full Version : Lac Vieux Desert 2-11

Winddrift Dave
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
After 2 days in the 40's and a 1/4" rain, very little snow remains on the surface. In some areas there is 3-4" standing water. Until it freezes firm, good waterproof boots are highly recommended. 22" ice here on the north shore. Vehicle travel is unlimited, however after watching one truck driving across today, slow would be the best advice unless you want to drown the engine. The first picture shows the conditions in the background; and in the foreground is the "before" shot of a typical muskrat breathing hole with the weeds protruding. The 2nd shot is after I exposed their access portal, showing just how big their activity can make the original 9" hole. The panfish really have turned on, especially with the "March like" water running into the holes. Northerns are still actively feeding all day. 'Eyes have gone slightly deeper. Flying Flags to All

ramsis
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
just wondering what depths i should try targeting wallys on lvd this weekend. it seems i always have a tough time pinning them down after mid january. any advice would be appreciated

Winddrift Dave
02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
For the last two weeks, been having better success in the 8-11 ft. range. Still in the weeds, but they seem to be hanging in the deeper range. Just make sure to check often, so you're not wrapped up in too many weeds. Been keeping bait between 18-24" off bottom. Last weekend, a couple guests got some 'eyes at 7 ft. depths, but majority came from the deeper locales.

ramsis
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the advice dave! those depths were spot on. went out and spent a day on LVD and a day on forest lake and fishing was good. all walleyes were caught 18in to 3ft off the bottom in about 14-15 fow. the blue gill bite on forest was great! not a lot of sorting, most were keepers in the 7-9in range. there were also some perch caught in the 10-12in range holding tight to the bottom.

Bobbz
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Winddrift Dave,

Has the slush firmed up?? I ask because the wife and I are on a getaway this upcoming weekend and will be bringing the 4x4 Jeep vs my GMC and will be driving it out??

Have they been doing any good off of long point for the eyes?? In the summer I usually do good on the perch on the north end in the deeper water by your resort near Misery, is anybody catching there?? Or are all of the perch being caught over in Indian/Rice Bays??

Thanks

Bob

Winddrift Dave
02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
You should be able to drive pretty much anywhere you want. Just watch for some small drifts, as you can go airborne, but the slush has pretty much disappeared with subzero nights lately. Snow cover running around 3-4". 24-26" ice thickness. The perch will hit one day, and the next it can be mostly bluegills or sunnies. Lots & lots of sorting. Indian Bay and west shore have been sort of quiet the last week or so. It's sure to turn on shortly tho. PM for an 'eye report. Northerns will keep you busy. Good luck!!