PDA

View Full Version : how do you measure fish?

husker hound
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
hi mike i have been reading your forum for quite some time now. i have a question. how do you measure your fish? do you use a cradle or measuring stick? what products would you recommend to measure fish? what about bumping boards? do they remove slime? im going to the milwaukee show and want to get a new measuring device since the girth tape isnt too accurate.

also would like to know which leaders you use as in what pound test and what kind of clips because i have had some clips open up on me. thank you.

Mike Hulbert
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
As far as measuring fish goes, I use a bump board. I have been using a Dunright board since 2006. This fall, October or so, a friend of mine here in Ft. Wayne has been working on a new bump board. I have gotten to see the changes he has made and I am really impressed. Plus he has right and left handed bump boards as well. Very cool product. Rollie and Helens has them as of now. Another bump board to hit the scene is made by a young guy from Illinois. Brandon's product can be found on the Musky Link website. Another nice board as well. He and Musky Armor hooked up during the show seaon and his product is very nice as well.

When using a board, simply dip it in the water just before measuring the fish. No slime loss and better on the fish than hanging it vertically or laying it on the carpet of a boat. Bump boards give you the most accurate measurement possible and are also best on the fish.

I use Stealth Leaders, and Stealth Leaders only. They make the best flouro leaders out there, as well as 7-strand and straight wire. John's leaders are top notch and I have never had one fail. He uses the Stay-Loc snaps, which are the best snaps out there in my opinion. They won't open up on you if you take care of them and switch them out when they start to get soft and silver colored.

I will be in the Musky Armor booth this weekend during the Milwaukee show, stop by and I'll take you around and show you the products that I mentioned above.

R Findlan
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Mike,
Is the other bumpboard you talked about made by muskybumper? Just curious.

Reed Findlan

Mike Hulbert
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, they are Muskie Bumper Bump Boards.

Tony can be reach at: 260-410-5474 or by e-mail: tclewman@netzero.net

He will be able to send you pics or answer any questions you have.

R Findlan
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I came across his bumpboards on MuskieFirst. I thought they looked really good so I emailed him and placed an order with him. He is making me a right handed custom board measuring to 66". Wishful thinking, but I fish Georgian Bay quite a bit so you never know.

Reed Findlan

husker hound
02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
hey mike husker hound again. i went to the musky link page and did not see the bump board anywhere to buy online. will they only be available at the show? i found a picture of one and it looks better than the others i saw. i read that if a piece breaks they will replace it. still leaning towards a measuring stick but if i have some extra money at the show i will get a musky link board. maybe you can go over the board to me at the show. do you know if they float? thanks!

Mike Hulbert
02-12-2009, 08:29 PM
yes, bump boards do float.

What day are you going to be at the show?