PDA

View Full Version : Ice conditions after the rain

The Bait Shop Guy
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
With the warm temps and rain last night, the ice is very sloppy right now. I went to move my shack tonight off the Terrace. All but the bigger drifts have been knocked down. There was 3 to 4 inches of water and slush on top of the ice I didn't get an exact measurement, but I know it was just over the top of where my boots were not waterproof!:mad: You can get around with a quad, but you'll need to go dead slow if you don't want to get drenched on the way out. No problem with a truck (no salt on the undercarriage, now!:D) Wind is supposed to switch to the North Wednesday. Hopefully that'll draw enough water off the ice before the cold weather sets in again. Now would be a good time to put your shack up on blocks before everything refreezes at the end of the week.

No reports on the conditions on the upper bay, but it's safe to assume it's the same up there. I did get one report that the access between the ore docks and Vinette's is in pretty bad shape because of the small creek that empties out right there.

peanutbutter soup
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
the ice is the same as down by you chris...3 to 5 inches of water on top of the ice and no more snow...a few large drifts but thats it. very snotty. i got wet feet yesterday too chris...:( ....blocking up the shack is a good idea... also i'll be hauling buckets of snow out from my yard to rebank my shack in as well.....see you on the bay.

RudyG
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Was out tonight.. most of the standing water had drained down.. the cold the next couple nights should firm things up again.. it was definately easier going.. some water but not as bad.

Bite was still off though.. a couple hits but mostly just lookers. nothing iced.

The Bait Shop Guy
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I managed to do a little fishing tonight. Happy to say the ice was much better than yesterday. Only 1 or 2 inches of water with a skim of ice on top. One good cold night and it'll be a giant skating rink out there. Measured 20 inches of ice tonight off the Terrace.

Caught one 16 inch walleye on a 4 inch shiner. It took the bait once and I set the hook, pulling the fish 4 feet off of bottom before the hook came out. Reeled up my minnow to see if it was in good shape. Dropped it back down and the same fish came up and grabbed it a second time. Guess he didn't learn his lesson the first time around - "No more spawning for you!" Missed one other bite on a Shiver Minnow. Only marked a few fish tonight after 5:30.