PDA

View Full Version : Operation Muskie - the Auction!

lambeau
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
after experiencing Operation Muskie as one of the veterans last year, it's something that needs to continue, something that another 20 veterans need to enjoy.

to that end, we'll be holding an auction to raise money in support of Operation Muskie II in '09.
i've contacted various fishing guides and tackle companies, and many have agreed to make donations to be auctioned off, with all proceeds going to help support Op Muskie II.
so far we've got an impressive lineup of gear and guide trips...including a couple of very special items from Dick, Doug, and Frank themselves!

i'm planning to hold the auction in late February or early March using the MuskieFirst chatroom. click here to catch the latest updates:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=47918&posts=5&start=1

feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or if you'd like to donate items for the auction:
Michael Winther
mike@winthernet.net
(608) 844-1382

Frank Walsh
02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Things are taking shape. Great job guys:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=23

lambeau
02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
there will be both a "silent" auction (next 10 days) and a "live" auction (early March).

the silent auction is up and running, check it out!

BWold
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Already got my bid in on one item and have my eyes on a couple of more!!! Take a look and bid on some great items!

lambeau
02-21-2009, 01:57 PM
guide trips with Frank Walsh, Doug Johnson, and Dick Peason are all going to be available during the live auction!

lambeau
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
the "silent" auction runs until Monday night at 10pm.

the live auction will take place in the MuskieFirst chatroom at 7pm on Wednesday!

Frank Walsh
03-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I have to be honest. I was watching the festivities under an alias. I don't even know what to say. This is incredible. I was so wired, I could not sleep for hours after the auction finally ended.

Don't want to sound like the movie star I am at the Academy Awards, but have to squeak in a few. First and foremost Lambeau. What an incredible job. The man is a dynamo, and he made it happen. We owe you...........man!

Thanks to Steve and Muskie First for the venue to make this happen. More importantly, thanks to Steve and John for jumping on Norm's bandwagon, so we could disguise his trip. Kind of like picking ugly bridesmaids!

And I really have to single out Wendy Zens. She was the life of the party. Better keep her away from the Home Shopping Network! A little known fact to only a few of us, is that Wendy, and her husband Butch, were very generous supporters of OM I.

Quickly getting off the soapbox, thanks to all of you who supported this effort. Those of you who donated goods and services. Those of you who generously (and mostly overly generously) purchased these items. And the guys that worked tirelessly to make this happen.

You are going to make a lot of people very happy this year. Most of all.....me!

Frank Walsh
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
For those of you that don't read the other boards, the auction generated $17,500.00.

Frank Walsh
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
LIVE AUCTION:

Lot 1, Mag Shads: John Stellflue $30
Lot 2, Weagles: Steve Worrall $100
Lot 3, Kopke guide: Jerome Morris $375
Lot 4, bucktails: Wendy Zems $150
Lot 5, StoneGate resort: Mark Randall $160
Lot 6, MegaTurd: Scott Westenberger $100
Lot 7, Cochran/Johnson: Stan Eilers $450
Lot 8, Tackle Ind lures: Jim Conklyn $55
Lot 9, Tackle Ind lures: Peter Kita $105
Lot 10, Worrall/Wild/Stellflue: Tony Pignatello $800 (+$50 from John Stellflue)
Lot 11, Big Games, glow, leader: Eric Olson $120
Lot 12, Matt Snyder guide: Jerome Morris $450
Lot 13, Timberwolf glider: Wendy Zems $150
Lot 14, Spring Bay resort: Mark Randall $475
Lot 15a, bucktails only: Bob Turgeon $150
Lot 15b, donation: Kent Sorenson $125
Lot 15c, donation: Wendy Zems $120
Lot 15d, Timberwolf glider: Jerome Morris $100
Lot 16, jpod foil glider: Scott Westenberger $85
Lot 17a, donation: Jeff Redig $350
Lot 17b, Doug Johnson, bumpboard: Michael Winther $350
Lot 18, Hardhead and Nitro: Wendy Zems $130
Lot 19, Snow crankbait: Wendy Zems $200
Lot 20, Shane Mason guide: Mark Randall $325
Lot 21, Ghosttails and Lee Lures: Rich Whiteside $175
Lot 22, Muskie Treats: Shawn Haley $160
Lot 23, Tackle Ind sampler, Jeff Wiegand $160
Lot 24, Lakewood and lures, Bob Turgeon $275
Lot 25, Snow foil glider: Jerome Morris $303
Lot 26, Topwaters and t-shirt: Tony Pignatello $140

Lot 27a, Mylie's Place resort (2010), Jack Burns guide, Bob Turgeon guide: Mark Randall $1050

Lot 27b, Mylie's Place resort (2009), Todd Forcier guide: Jerome Morris $650

Lot 28, Doug Johnson guide: Wendy Zems $300

Lot 29, Frank Walsh guide, 1/2 price stay at Baystore: Wendy Zems $1000

Lot 30, Dick Pearson guide weekend: John Mich $3000

BWold
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Great auction and fun last night. Can't say enough about the folks that stepped up and helped make it a success. With that being said, looks like the vets will be back for another year to fatten up Franka nd Scarlet!!!!!

jimmyb
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
AWESOME job guys!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait.

dpear
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Jimmy that sums it up!Ditto on what Frank,Bret and you said.Awesome!
I'm stunned by it and near speechless.Thanks to all that helped,donated or played a role in this.:)

Tim Kelly
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Does Doug still have the paypal account?

dpear
03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
I just got around to looking at the auction items.No Cowgirls?Gerry's girls?
Maybe I missed them but is the craze waning?(I doubt it but my thumbs/wrists are wondering.)
I did hear that Frankie had sworn them off and had swung over to a red/copper Beetle Spin.

dpear
03-06-2009, 07:13 AM
By the way,what is a 'MegaTurd'?I don't dare ask for a picture.

BWold
03-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Dpear.......there was some Gerry's girls that went in the live auction, so get your wrists and thumbs in shape! No cowgirls however.

Megaturd.........big, lets just leave it at that!! :eek:

lambeau
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
there were many double-10 bucktails: Gerry's Girls, Dinnerbells, Ghosttails, Glittertails. i'm sure they're as popular as ever.

this does reflect one interesting dynamic about the auction: most of the donated gear came from smaller companies or one-man basement outfits. the big companies that dominate the market did not donate in spite of being asked.

my assumption is that these kinds of big companies get almost overrun with requests for donations from various fundraisers, Muskies Inc clubs, etc., etc. and simply can't do it. smaller companies probably get fewer requests and are more able to respond.

i was very pleased with the number and kinds of donations that we received and i encourage everyone to support those companies with your business. when you do, mention it is because they helped out with Operation Muskie!

dpear
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Amen Lambeau,amen.
Here's an indication of how some people feel about the Vets and Operation Muskie.Was just talking on the phone with John Mich who purchased 'me'(poor guy)in the auction.We were laughing and chatting about our trip and plans and then I asked him if I should send him his hardcover copies of my book which were part of the package.
Answer: 'No Dick,my wife purchased me a signed copy of your book when it first came out,I want you to donate the books to this years Vets in Operation muskie,let them share in your knowledge'.
What can I say?What a guy.Thanks John!:)

Frank Walsh
03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Mike, I would imagine that a part of it would be the little guy is doing it for a hobby, and/or to make a few bucks on the side. As opposed to a business that is the sole income for it's owners.

BTW, we will be receiving 20 musky rods from Fenwick for the boys.