PDA

View Full Version : 1 dead, 134 rescued from Lake Erie

walleyespanker
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I haven't read back on the other posts so I don't know if this story was previously posted, but I figure it is a good read for everyone, and sorry if it has been posted already.

Authorities: 1 dead, 134 rescued from Lake Erie

SEEWER, Associated Press Writer John Seewer, Associated Press Writer –

Sat Feb 7, 6:41 pm ET AP – A helicopter flies over fishermen stranded on a slab of ice about 8 miles wide that broke free and floated …
Play Video Video: 1 dead, 134 rescued from Lake Erie ice AP OAK HARBOR, Ohio – A miles-wide ice floe broke away Saturday from Lake Erie's shoreline, trapping more than 130 fishermen, some for as long as four hours. One man fell into the water and later died.

A Coast Guard spokesman, Chief Petty Officer Robert Lanier, said 134 people had been plucked from the ice by late afternoon. Rescuers lowered baskets onto the ice from helicopters, and people climbed in and were lifted to safety. Others boarded whirring air boats that glided across the ice.

"We were in no danger," said Norb Pilaczynski of Swanton, Ohio, who was rescued from the lake along with several of his friends. "We knew there was enough ice out there."

The day began with fishermen setting down wooden pallets to create a bridge over a crack in the ice so they could roam farther out on the lake. But the planks fell into the water when the ice shifted, stranding the fishermen about 1,000 yards off shore.

"We get people out here who don't know how to read the ice," Ottawa County Sheriff Bob Bratton said. "What happened here today was just idiotic. I don't know how else to put it."

The man who died fell into the water while searching with others for a link to the shoreline, Bratton said. Others tried CPR before the man was flown to a hospital and pronounced dead, he said.

Officials were trying to verify the man's identity and notify his relatives, Lanier said.

There were four helicopters — two from Detroit and two from Traverse City, Mich. — and eight air boats from the Coast Guard, Lanier said. Local authorities also sent air boats to rescue the people from the ice floe.

Mike Sanger of Milwaukee said the crack in the ice had been tighter earlier in the morning.

"I was told the lake was froze all the way across," said Sanger, 51. "I didn't think the lake could go anywhere."

Ice on western sections of Lake Erie was up to 2 feet thick Saturday, National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Randel said. The ice cracked as temperatures rose and winds of up to 35 mph pushed on the ice.

When fishermen realized late Saturday morning that the ice had broken away, they began to debate the best way off, Sanger said, adding that no one appeared to be too scared. Some chose to sit and wait for authorities, while others headed east in search of an ice bridge.

Fishermen closer to the ice break used their cell phones to warn those farther out on the ice.

For entertainment while they waited, one angler dropped a recently hooked walleye — the target catch of the season — back into the water as a group gathered to watch it swim, said fisherman David Hudzinski of Muskego, Wis.

Others managed to get to land on their own by riding their all-terrain vehicles about five miles east to where ice hadn't broken away.

A second fisherman went into the frigid water when he tried to drive his ATV over a small crack in the ice, Lanier said. A rescue boat pulled him out within a few minutes, and he was brought to shore and wrapped in blankets. The man was not treated at a hospital and went home, Lanier said.

Sanger said he was rescued after about an hour by one of several private charter air boats that pulled up and offered rides.

Those rescued had to leave behind most of their equipment, such as coolers, snowmobiles and all terrain vehicles.

Ice fisherman who regularly visit the lake have said this winter's thick ice has lured more people to the lake. The numbers of ice fishermen has been unprecedented, said Oak Harbor resident Peter Harrison, who has lived on the shore for 40 years.

"There was a heck of a city out there for the last week and a half, two weeks," the 71-year-old said.

Bratton said he discussed possible rescue plans with his colleagues on Friday after meteorologists forecast higher temperatures for the weekend.

Even in cold temperatures, the ice in western Lake Erie is often unsafe because of currents that can easily cause the ice to shift.

Ohio Division of Wildlife spokeswoman Jamey Graham said the state annually warns fishermen that there's no such thing as "safe ice." And authorities along the lake are trained for these type of rescues.

"You have to know the weather. You have to know how to read the ice," Bratton said. "It doesn't take much for this to break."

The rescue operation cost thousands of dollars and pulled emergency responders away from other duties, Bratton said. None of the fishermen would likely be forced to cover the cost of rescue operations, Lanier said.

"To the best of my knowledge, they didn't break any laws," he said. "Ice fishing is a culture here on the Great Lakes."

Bob Bochi, a friend of Pilaczynski, said their group of friends remained calm during the ordeal because the ice around them was about 14 to 18 inches thick.

Sanger said his biggest disappointment is that his vehicle is still floating in the middle of the lake, meaning he can't fish on Sunday as planned. Pilaczynski's all-terrain vehicle was also left on the ice.

"We'll go swimming for it this spring," said Bochi, 54.

walleyespanker
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Today, 11:04 AM
jiginitis69
monitor first few posts then move to approved users Join Date: Jan 2008

16 Mile Trail of Tears

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An adventure story. Fact not fiction.

It started in the parking lot. I overheard some fells wondering whether or not to pull their trailer. I recommended they not, due to my knowledge of the plywood bridge at the crack. I advised them I put the fish to bed the evening before (I am a local) and I would take them to my spot.

The first crack was 18" and we crossed it with ease. Headed NW and crossed the second crack which ran S to N. It was 8". Got to our spot and started catching eyes within minutes. At 9:30 we noticed the shanty town to the east was tearing down and heading SW. But, that is not where we came from! Something is wrong? We packed up and investigated. The crack had opened to 5'. Some fellas held a large piece of ice in the crack to create a bridge, but it was still suspect. As if from God two slivers floated down that fit like a glove. We fired up and flew across.

Headed towards the first crack and WHOA! That will take the Army Corp of engineers to cross. And then! There they were? Coastie Choppers, Sherriff Choppers, ProMedica Choppers, Coastie Airboats (3 of them). The operation began. Taking children first, elderly, walkers, under attired, etc. etc.. As the operation progressed a group of snowmobilers and ATV's headed east then northeast till out of sight.

The fellas I picked up in the parking lot were experienced ice fisherman, but not experienced about the lake. I advised them I had 3/4 tank of gas and an extra gallon. One of their ATV's was out of gas so I offered some of my extra gallon to him. We discussed our options and I gave one of the ATV passengers my truck keys and advised that we not take passengers on this journey. They take the coastie ride and we will call as to where to pick us up.

We headed east then northeast. About 2 miles we came across erie township boat patrolling in the crack and a Coasties airboat. Asked them if they knew if the crack closed up anywhere and they said " not as far as we have been, as they pointed northeast). We continued on. We paralleled the crack for another 5 miles. On the way we passing abandoned ATV's, empty gas tanks, abandoned shanties, buckets with poles and tackle, scoops, dip nets, full 12 packs of beer, destroyed homemade sleds that ice terrain destroyed, and then an Sherriff chopper hovered over us and gave us hand gestures that the crack was 4' wide, cut his throat, and pointed back towards Magee Marsh. We continued on. The Sherriff Chopper moved north and hovered over a man made bridge our predisesors had left. We measured, reconfigured, placed a person on each side and crossed one at a time.

Now, off to Camp Perry. I reflected at this point on the instructions I received from the father of a young man following me. "Don't let my son Die". Safety was my first and last thoughts. As we headed EESE trying to cross previous travel routes on my GPS from this year we were pushing through 4" of water and in some places it was difficult to determine what was water on top and maybe open water. I put my trust in my knowledge that there's 18" of ice and in god.

As we neared Camp Perry two Coastie Choppers flew over going like h---! And then the ProMedica Chopper followed towards the Touissant River watershed/ Discharge. I prayed it was'nt the fella whom did not wait for us at the Niagra Reef crossing because he headed due south favoring the east side of Davis Besse. I did not follow him.

We finally crossed an old route track on my GPS and headed towrds Camp Perry where another obstacle lay in our way. A subduction where the northern sheet had overlapped the southern sheet and filled with water. Luckily other ice fisherman from the Camp Perry launch built another bridge. AS we all wait for 2 more of their buddies the parking lot fills with amber and yellow lighted safety vehicles.

We finally arrive on Terra Firma. Home at Last-Home at Last. We look at our odometers and they say I covered 16 miles since we left Magee Marsh. The young man travelling along also confirmed his odometer increased 16 Miles.

What an Adventure.

By the way. My wife Grounded Me, but "I'll Be Back!"

RudyG
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Great post walleyespanker! Thank You... and the thread from the individual that went through it was a nice add on too. Really puts things in perspective when wandering out on the hard water.

I remember My Grandfather's, "Rudy G.", story from the late 40's-early 50's when he and his brother and a few others were trapped on a flow in Keweenaw Bay... much smaller than "miles wide".. and in that day it was a little tougher to get help out to them.. I do remember him saying that by the time they were rescued they were past Pequaming.."Gitchee's main body", and down to a few hundred yards square of ice.

God rest the sould of the lost man;:( and thank you for returning the others to Their families.