PDA

View Full Version : 23 inch slot part 4

Kevin Lee
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
BigPike

Hell, I voted too fast. I guess I can't do more than one thing at a time. After reviewing my flub up I realized that I read the poll wrong. Should have voted for leaving it the way it is. I guess it's the same as Deer Hunting; Let em' Go; Let em' Grow..

Mike: “Let em' Go; Let em' Grow” isn’t necessary in the LBDN example for all of the reasons I’ve already stated above. Anglers simply do not harvest too many walleyes at this location.
Schmutzomatic5000

Eaters are the better fish anyway. Nothing feels better than letting a big fish swim for another day.............

Mike: If it feels good, do it! I would never suggest taking this right away from you any more than I would suggest taking the right away from someone who chooses to keep some large walleye. The only thing that I insist on is that there be no negative biological impact. W.T.A.
I sure hope they leave it the way it is, I wish they would make this a law for the hole state of MI. That helps make LBDN such a great walleye fishery.

Mike: Eliminating this regulation would not diminish the “great walleye fishery” in LBDN.
The Bait Shop Guy

I grew up in Minnesota where "catch and release/selective harvest" was pretty much the norm for most guys. It was a bit of a rude awakening when the folks moved us here in the late 80's. Most people kept everything they legally could - and then some. I'm happy to say I've seen attitudes make a big change in the 20 years I've been here. I'd like to think that if the slot was removed, the majority of sport fishermen would still release those bigger fish. (1)

I said before I was "on the fence" with this issue. If the biology supports it, why not? On the other hand, if the slot is removed, I really do think it would effect my business adversely. I REALLY don't want to take a second "would you like fries with that" job just to make ends meet! I guess I'm more in favor of keeping it than dropping it.

Mike: (1) I firmly believe that most anglers would continue to release big fish. I will continue to release them because I can (usually) catch all I want that are smaller, better tasting ones. To each his own. Keith Wils’s wife really likes the big ones and makes him bring some of those home sometime. And I cannot imagine any reason why removing this regulation would hurt anyone’s business.
Wyldstallion906

I agree that the 1 fish over 23 rule should stay the same. And I have to say that I respect that the bait shop guy and sall mar guys feel the same way. They would probably gain alot more business if we could keep more than one whopper at a time. (1) It tells me that these guys care about this fishery moreso than making a extra few bucks and I commend them for that. This is why the UP is great. People that aren't trying to screw up our walleye fishing for profit. If this was a issue in a big city then bait shop and guides would be all about getting rid of the slot just to line their pockets. On a side note I think that our declining perch population is due more so in part to the non native invasive species taking over. Anyone else notice how damn clear the water is in the bay? Also I hate to beat a dead horse but people need to stop keeping perch that aren't at least 10 or 11 inches. I cant tell ya how many times during the summer I talk to out of towners who say they caught a nice mess of perch and the biggest one is barely 8 inches. Thats my 2 cents and then some. Im basically so upset about it because I've been fishing here all my life and never caught a perch over 13 inches. But I shall soon. Oh yes.. I shall soon!!!!

Mike: (1) I agree with Wyldstallion906 that you just might gain some business. And your belief that people shouldn’t be keeping 8 inch perch instead of 10 or 11 inchers is misguided at best. If people only kept perch that big, they wouldn’t keep very many in the course of their lifetime on LBDN. Good luck in your quest for the 13 incher. There are some out there!
RudyG

"if the slot is removed, I really do think it would effect my business adversely."

As would many others my friend.... Many others!

You are right in saying Sportsman would put them back and take there pics.. but many more would keep on taking 'em out. And after so long .. "The massive migration of big walleyes to the bay that occurs in fall through winter" would suffer.

Mike: The migration would be unaffected based on the information I’ve outlined above.
WalleyeGuy .. good point well made.. and taken. But .. the DNR dont plant Gogebic either.. and whether the fish grow faster here isnt the point I was making.. I was simply stating that the size limit definately effected the catch and it will NEVER be like that of LBDN.. oh.. and Lake Gogebic, for those that dont know, is nearly 20 miles long and up to 3 miles wide.. 12,800 acres with depths over 30 feet. Perch are often up to 2 lbs or bigger and a stringer of 15 Inchers isnt uncommon. I think the size problem for walleye isnt so much not much forage... but an overabundance of walleye. which is why they had the 13" limit for so many years.

Its all about where to go to get the big ones.. cuz I can catch eaters in alot of waters. I am not a trophy fisherman.. but given the option of limiting out where there is a possibilty of that wall mounter.. vs limiting out where they just dont get any bigger... guess where I want to fish

Mike: Your opportunity to have a chance at “that wall mounter” would be unaffected by the proposed regulation change.

HawgHeaven

I happen to like the slot. It works. Retired Biologist Jerry Peterson will tell you they used a lot of big eyes like this to bring our Bay back. If they remove it some then some sort of slot should be put in its place. Like Frank S said to increase our numbers of eating size and bigger. All of your productive lakes have some sort of slot. I think it would kill peaple traveling here to our area for a trophy. Just my opinion

Mike: Retired biologist Jerry Peterson will, in fact, tell you that he supports eliminating this regulation. Ask him. And no other regulation is needed for LBDN since no additional protection is necessary to maintain and preserve the existing population.
The Bait Shop Guy

Removing the 23 inch slot may still allow us to have a healthy walleye fishery on the bay, but will we still have a healthy TROPHY walleye fishery?

Mike: see comments above as I have addressed this point.