PDA

View Full Version : Musky fishing in Kentucky or Tennessee in Spring

gfisch
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I've just about have had all the "Global Warming" I can take this winter and cabin fever has set in big time. I feel the need to fish out of a boat instead of on ice and see green grass.

Can anyone tell me if the musky fishing is any good in March in Kentucky or Tennessee and if so where, how long it takes to drive down there and who a good guide might be to hire?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

gfisch

JERRY LARSON
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
not sure where your from but I live in rockford IL area and to kentucky around cave run takes about 7-8 hours,it takes me 6 1/2 hrs to kinkaid in S.IL.Gregg thomas or tony grant are the big named guides around kentucky and can guide tenn also,they also have guides that work for them incase they`re booked.If you want S.IL chaid cain is the guide you want who also has a guide team,early season down south can be very good and the fish are the biggest they will be all year since they haven`t spawned yet.

Pete Stoltman
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd say Jerry pretty much nailed the situation there. My understanding is that spring fishing in those reservoirs is very dependent on the water level. Of course the good fishermen can always manage to find fish but sometimes things can be better that others. I've heard of situations when the water can raise or lower several feet in the matter of a couple days and of course radical changes like that seem to put fish off no matter where you are. Tony and Greg for sure know what the deal is down there and Chad and Al Nutty are the guys you want for Kinkaid. If you need phone numbers or contacts for any of those guys just shoot me an e-mail and I can get them for you.

Mauser
02-04-2009, 01:04 AM
No doult , you can't go wrong fishing with Tony or Greg. Fished with Tony several times , in Ky & Wisc. top notch guide and person. He's been known to catch a fish or 2. Watched Greg catch fish right in front of me as we went by.If these 2 guides can't put you on fish, then nobody can. Probably 2 of the top 5 guides in the area and maybe the top 2.
Mauser

Muskie Matt
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Green River Lake... toss around an orange rattle trap... used to work pretty good. You can troll of course. Have seen both Tony and Greg work that water with great success.

Maybe look into that Muskie Inc. "Cabin Fever Challunge"

I hear ya on needing some open water... getting to be that time of year, the "itch" is setting in...

gfisch
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the information from everyone, I will do some checking into what you all have mentioned.

gfisch

mikie
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't forget to Fish Ohio on your way through. Our Lakes have ice off and are beginning to show fish, I'm getting out tomorrow for the first time.

Cave Run is a typical destination - lots of good water and fish there - but it does get pounded. Also, look into Buckhorn Lake, Ky, get hold of guide Chris Haley and he can put you on fish there or at Green River Lake.

Tennessee has Melton Hill Lake that seems to be going pretty good about now.

Some nice fish coming out of eastern and middle Tennessee. Just all depends on how much you want to travel. hope that helps, mikie

Pete Stoltman
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I just spoke with Justin Mullins yesterday (Crash's son) and he reported that the fishing on Cave Run is very good right now. Everybody's catching some.