PDA

View Full Version : Purchased some lures

Arizonangler
01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I was hoping someone could give me a little info on some lures I just bought from a guy in Hershey. I spent $150.00 and got a boat load of baits. The list is as follows.....

2- 10' Buchertail bucktails
4- Mepps Muskie Killers
13- Other asorted bucktails inline spinners
2- 8" Beleivers
6- 10" Beleivers
1 - 10" Bermek B-1
2- 10" Grandmas
2- 8" Grandmas
2- 7" Creek Chub Jointed minnows
8- 6" X-Rap type slash baits
3- Brand new Yo-Zuri 8" Jointed Pikie Minnows
1- 8" Shallow Invader
1- Huge Flambeau Tackle box to hold everything

All of the hooks on the hard baits are in good condition, some of the ones on the bucktails need to be replaced. This leads me to my question. Should I replace the trebles on these baits with the stainless or nickle hooks? Also, is there a way to clean the blades, hooks, and bodies of some of these baits?
Are the bucktails worth replacing the hooks on? Is there somewhere I can buy large dressed trebles for the bucktails. I have looked on Rollie & Helen's website but nothing is big enough. I think I made a good purchase. :)

NitroMusky
01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
wow. gotta say you got a nice deal, if they're in anywhere as good a condition as you said :)

Red Childress
01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
I do know you will need to be careful cleaning the wooden lures with a strong agent as the paint can smear due to the clear coat being cleaned off as well. I would replace all the hooks with freshwater hooks (bronze ones).....much easier to cut with Knipex and will eventually rust out if you have a break off or something.

You could try to wire brush the old hooks and polish the rust off around the hook points so they will still slide through the tissue of the musky's mouth. You might just be able to sharpen the points and leave them on there. I do not know how badly they have deteriorated.

Personally, I do not get worked up about dirty looking hardbaits. Dull blades is a different story. I am sure there is a cheap cleaning agent out there that you can soak the blades in to shine them up.....Oxyclean maybe?? lol

Looks like you got a heck of a deal.

dawgfn78
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Try denatured alcohol. I have used it for the most mild jobs to some of the toughest. Use it on a cloth an wipe down the lure for the easy stuff, or for full paint removal, soak the bait for a few minutes. As an example, I had a bunch of Mepps spinners that I couldn't stand the paint on, so I soaked the blade in a dixie cup of denatured of a couple of minutes and the paint wiped off with just a little pressue. It even left behind the logo on the blade.

RapRunR
01-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a heckuva deal there !!