PDA

View Full Version : Terrace Ice

big pike
01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know the conditions of the ice behind the Terrace Bay in. I'd like to try for some whitefish this weekend. any info appreciated. thanks!!

Walleye Quinn
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Big Pike. I fished 1 1/2 miles East of the Terrace Bay In on Sunday. Left from the Terrace in my truck seen other trucks around me. The Ice was 16" to 18" thick and you could drive just about any where out in that area. As of the fishing part it sucked!!! fished for Walleye's in 28" with no luck. Good luck fishing from Walleye Quinn.

big pike
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks, sounds like good ice, too bad there's no good fish. Oh well

The Bait Shop Guy
01-27-2009, 08:22 PM
My dad and I set a shack on the west bank off the Terrace a week ago. Just needed someplace to hit real quick after work. We've fished a few evenings now and have been getting one or two walleyes and whitefish almost every trip. There are LOTS of whitefish out there. If you can chum an area for a couple days, you'll have them hanging around all day. It's been sunny the last couple times I've been out. Seems like they bite much better on the overcast days. I hope to get out tomorrow evening to test that theory. My dad's the one that's been catching the walleyes. He's mostly been using #5 glow Raps and Rattling Flyer spoons in the glow colors. Nothing big yet, just good eaters.

birddog94
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Can dito that on the eaters,What are you chuming with,, and would you have to do it for a few days or would it work if I went down in the morning fish till 3 and moved for walleys?

springfield
01-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey Bait Shop Guy, Have you tried the White's at night? We do well on them after dark. Far as chum I use chopped up minnows, but you still need your receipt were you bought them.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Birddog94, you really wouldn't have to move - like I said, we're catching them both in the same area. You don't have to chum an area to catch them. If you don't, you just might have to wait a while longer before they show up. If you do chum ahead of time, there will always be fish hanging around, and more of them. I like to chum with dead minnows. I'll drop down mostly larger 3 inchers and just a few 1 or 2 inchers. The whitefish have a hard time choking down those big minnows, but they get their attention and help to hold them in an area. When they see the smaller minnows (including the ones with the hooks in them,) they tend to zero in on them. Good Luck.

birddog94
01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Bait shop guy, I'll have to give it a try,thought you used corn, rather than something the walleye's would eat..

The Bait Shop Guy
01-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I never use corn, even though it works. I've been told that it's too hard for the fish to digest and can kill them. I've caught whitefish that were jam packed full of corn in their stomach and intestines, right up to the point where they were about to poop it out. I think the bigger fish may be able to handle it, but not the smaller ones.