PDA

View Full Version : Sat. Jan. 24th "eyes"

CaptainKenLee
01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Hit the ice around 3:30 or so with my brother Kevin. Went to a new spot that looked good on the GPS...so we figured, "why not, got nothing to lose". I set up on a nice flat shelf in 42 feet of water and Kevin went a little deeper, around 49 feet I believe. I started marking quite a few fish right away and they'd even come up 5 to 6 feet off bottom, however I think they were whities. Finally started marking fish with a little more color to them around 4:45 and at 4:50 I had my first fish, a nice 22 incher. This fish came on a #9 hand-painted jigging rap. Fish were coming through steady, but just couldn't get them to go. Finally got another fish around 5:30 and another at 5:45. Second fish came on a Red Grapes Shiver Minnow, 3rd fish came on #7 GGT rap. Released one little fish caught on a rap also. All the keepers had the bait inhaled, largest fish was 22 1/2 inches. I had to play with the first fish for what seemed like many, many minutes before it would commit, really had to jig hard to keep their interest, then had to just slowly raise the bait up once the fish was moving up to the bait, otherwise they were gone. Was nice to see multiple fish on the graph at the same time, it creates some competition down there and sometimes triggers a non-biter into biting. Not a great day, but nice to see so many fish on the graph. Here's some pictures and video of today's trip. Not the best video, kind of hard to do by yourself. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area. Ooops...I forgot to mention, Kevin got one 22 incher, so I got bragging rights, at least for today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muE_0HbLJ3A

RudyG
01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Ken... Thanks for the report..
Sounds like you had the same luck as us.. a little better tho. We noticed the same thing you talked about the last couple days... Work the Rap hard to get em interested then once they come to it.. just twitch else they are gone. Even then, many of them sat on it and just looked at it.

We were out the last two days south of Gladstone.. REAL Slow! "Much of this is already posted under the poll thread Jerkbait posted too." Yesterday was an all dayer and it was tough! Morning got us two eyes.. both eaters caught on Moonshine JJ Mac tipped with a whole minnow. Picked up a whietfish and ... yes... a smelt .."JJmac on that one too." in the next 4 hours.. lookers.. lots of em .. but no takers. Two misses.. a lost fish.. and another nice one "about 24 inches" on a red tiger glow Rap# 5 ... and then... nothing... abosolutely Nothing!

Friday wasnt much better .. Managed a nice one about 19-20".. another Hog at 27-28" and about 7lbs. and a nice size perch.(12") A few short hits and two lost after hook set that was from 8:30 to 2:00.. spotted em in streaks.. 28 FOW all caught on Red Tiger glow rap.. #5 And #7.

Nice seeing ya yesterday Chris.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Good seeing you too. Thanks for the report. FYI, those smelt you sometimes catch out there make good tip-up bait.

10# Hunter
01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the report it sure is nice to see the video and the pics. At least you show that there are decent fish being caught. It's also nice to hear you share what you were using to catch the fish on plus what depth you were in. Keep up the great work you put into this site!!!!! This goes for all of you that post helpful tips and some of your secrets. THANKS

10# Hunter

jtourangeau
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
4 last night,biggest was a little over 20.All on #7 raps/no bt,chrome clown and or/gld.all released.good night but my slead took out the back window on my truck before I made it home.

slammer
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I feel your pain.
Hope it wasn't a sliding window and tinted. Two years ago I was fishing in the middle of nowhere and locked my keys in the truck, so the logical thing to me was to try and pry open the slider window and if it breaks at least it's the smallest cheapest one. Well, it broke and I thought I could just replace the little slider window for 50-100 bucks. WRONG. I was informed that they don't sell or replace just a small section of window and the whole damn thing had to be replaced to the tune of $1870.00 . What a crock of crap. Thank god my insurance covered . Found out it would have been cheaper to smash my windshield and all four side windows than that back little 8x12" piece of glass. Good luck! Slammer!!!!!!

wyldstallion906
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
thank you for that reply slammer.. you just made me literally LOL laugh out loud. I can picture someone smashing out all their windows now instead of the back slider.. haha thanks for that!

Double Tap
01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
When loading the ATV a few weeks ago, I too learned that the winch hook needs to be folded over otherwise it will brake your slider window also. Haven't priced them yet but it sounds like I'll be looking at coming up with plan B.

1971miner
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Wouldn't you be able to get the keys if you just broke ONE window?

duckc.1187
01-25-2009, 10:54 PM
thats why we call LBDN the Money Pit, she's hard on equipment, and we haven't had a trip up there where nothing went wrong. Price you pay for the big girls!!

jtourangeau
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
thats why we call LBDN the Money Pit, she's hard on equipment, and we haven't had a trip up there where nothing went wrong. Price you pay for the big girls!!

Got an estimate today and it looks like in neiborhood of 3,500-4,000 in total damadge.New skin for top of cab,New glass(not the slider)New 3rd brake/cargo light and some box fab work!4 FISH...PRICELESS!!!

RudyG
01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
That Suck$!!!!!!!