PDA

View Full Version : Deep water "bug eyes"...

Kevin Lee
01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I tried a new spot this afternoon with mixed results. One constant though was the fish not wanting to bite! I set up in 60 feet of water for a change. I thought maybe the bite might start sooner in the deeper water. WRONG. Heck, it was just the opposite! I didn't really see much of anything until about 5:30. I started off losing a small one after reeling it up just 10 feet or so. Then about 10 minutes to six the bigger guys started moving thru but did not want to hit until it was almost pitch dark out. I finally hooked this nice 22 incher while I was jigging 12 feet off bottom. Had 2 more nices ones come unhooked and that was it! Bite over...I had quite a few nice sized fish moving thru for about 40 minutes, just could not get them to hit. I used 3 different colors in those 40 minutes. I caught the keeper and lost the 2 others on the #9 Parrot. Now whether that color was "hot" or the fish just decided to start biting is anyone's guess...

steve l
01-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Huh, Marty Feldman lives(ed)

RJV
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
What sonar are you using? I'm looking to buy something and trying to check everything out. Is that 102x? Just wondering if you could give me any help on that?

If buying the x67c, do you need to make sure that it also says "ice machine"? Otherwise is it not ice fishing ready?

Thanks a lot!

steve l
01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Concerning the X67. The "ice machine" entails a carry case/tray with an ice-ducer, a battery and the the apparatus to suspend the transducer. The X67 is also available as a non ice machine. I have one with both transducers so I use it as my bow mount unit in open water. To get the "ice machine" you must specify to the retailer at time of purchase. I'll bet more X67s are sold as ice machines than otherwise. Great unit!

RJV
01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I use a vex, but like my friends x67 much more. It really is a great unit. What is Kevin's unit in that picture? Can't really find it anywhere online.

Kevin Lee
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
The graph in the picture is a Lowrance X102c. It really is over-kill for ice-fishing though. I think it has 2400 watts of power which is way more than a person needs for ice-fishing. I just came across a really good price I couldn't pass up. The Lowrance X67c is a great unit for ice-fishing and like others have said, works great on the bow of the boat in the summer. I have seen the X67 at times come with both an ice-fishing transducer and a transducer for the your boat. Try Reeds Sporting Goods. That might be where I saw the package deal with both transducers included...

CaptainKenLee
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I currently use the x-67c ice machine and love it. Too many great features to name here. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to e-mail me.

info@icedarter.com

steve l
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I got mine at Reeds about 1 1/2 years ago and it came with both transducers. I love it, but I still like using my Vex when the situation calls for it(like when my wife hogs the X67)........(and won't share)

crazyeyes
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
The X-67's nice and small and will zip up in your backpack along with a sixpack