PDA

View Full Version : hook setting

JerryL
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Hello All

I am sure this has been adressed before but I was curious on what other peoples opinions are on proper hooksets for diffrent types of baits. I have been one for just one solid hookset but what are a good body direction and rod movement for ex. bucktails, topwater, and jerkbaits. lets say the baits are half way through the retrieve and thats when they are hit I couldn't tell you what I do at boatside because we are so dumb struck to actually see a fish If it hit we would probably just pull the bait out of its mouth. any info would be appreciated thanks

jerryL

Ty Sennett
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Hooksets are different for everyone. The best hooksets I've seen are the quickest and strongest ones. Most of the guys that catch the most fish with me set really quick and follow through strong with it. I usually say only set once. I've seen a lot more fish lost than caught setting more than one time.

Hookset direction depends on the bait you are using. It also depends on the layout of the boat, more importantly where each person is in relation to you. Try to set to your strongest direction when you have a bucktail on and it's out a long distance from you. usually this is over your right shoulder for right handed reels and over your left shoulder for left handed reels. If the bucktail is near the boat set the hook down and to the right or left. This makes sure not to hook the other guy in the boat and also helps to get a better hookup in the fish. With topwater always set down and to the left or right even if the bait is a long distance away from the boat.

If a fish hits in a figure eight jerk it toward the fish's tail. In other words, jerk the bait into the the fish and not away from it's mouth.

JerryL
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info ty hopefully it will be put to good use this summer when we are up. The only bad part to the hard hookset is when we quit musky fishing and go to the crappie hole the first few hits there is nothing but soft crappie lip entrails on the hook. LOL. Ask Gamble he is the worst.Haha

JerryL