PDA

View Full Version : Drivin' on the TFF

Packer Backer
01-22-2009, 06:56 AM
We'll be headin' to TFF in aq couple of weeks and wondering how the driving conditions were. We plan on putting alot of fish on the ice!

EarthwormOrganics
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I was building more fish cribs with the TFFTLA gang. We saw plenty of trucks traveling all over. Deep snow along the islands is the only risk I know of other than where the channel goes thru the narrows. You should be good to go though.

Good luck.

Packer Backer
01-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks Northwoods,

We were hoping to hit the big water for some smallies. We will be bringing a ATV and sled, but would have to make a couple of trips so it would be nice just to take the trucks.

Any fish being caught that you know of? How many cribs are you going to drop?

Thanks

Pat

EarthwormOrganics
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
From what I'm hearing it has been on and off. A little slow lately. We built 22 or 24 cribs. I am not sure if we are helping or hurting the fish. I hope with the large number of cribs out there, we are helping the fish. Either way, good fishing to all and keep it clean and friendly for mother nature.

Packer Backer
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info northwoods, but I'm a little confused about the cribs, how could they "hurt" the fish and or fishing?

Tom502
01-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Pat,

There is a concern by some that cribs are giving people a "sure-thing" place to fish, thus creating extra pressure and hurting the fishery. Personally, I don't believe this is the case, at least at this time.

When the Lake Assoc. and DNR first partnered up to install cribs, and there were a very limited number of cribs, that may have been a valid concern. Now that that over 300 cribs are spread all over the TFF I believe that the fishing pressure is spread out enough so that the cribs are a "net" positive to the fishery on the TFF.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

EarthwormOrganics
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for you input Tom. I agree with your comments.
I have asked some people who have been fishing here for years. They think so far, that the bluegills have gotten more numerous. I also talk to others who think the crappies populations seem to be declining. I think crappies are cyclic though. All I know is we like trying to help give the fry a place to hide to help future populations.

Can't wait for the weather to change so we can get back out and enjoy the outdoors.

Randy
01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that a body of water like the TFF needs to plant cribs to provide fish habitat. I'd have to believe my prop and skag would agree with me!

Having said that, if the cribs are working to jump start panfish populations I'm all for it. The only question I have is whether or not people are catching bluegills anywhere other than the cribs.

Supposed to be above freezing tomorrow, let's start melthing that ice!

mooselegs
03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I have never ice fished the TFF. My plan is to come up on Tuesday, March 10th and spend the remainder of the week in the area. I am 8-10 miles from the Sprindstead Landing, which I use during the summer months.

Can I drive on the TFF from Springstead Landing? If not, were else might you suggest? If driving a vehicle is not recommended, can you suggest an area that I can access via foot travel?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks
Tom

The Tiny Fisherman
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
There is plenty of good ice to drive on. At the moment I can't think of any spots were you should stay away from. Other than I wouldn't drive up a river channel. Which I wouldn't do at any time. Use good judgement and you'll be okay.

Good luck,