PDA

View Full Version : tipped shiver

schmutzomatic 5000
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the shiver minnow hooks (trebble) flopping over the body of the bait when it is tipped with a minnow. Here "If you don't tip it you can skip it" and it seems every time within a few jigs in current tipped with a minnow the hook flops over the body and your not fishing. Without tipping not a problem but also no fish. Smaller trebble effect the action?? Nice looking bait.....

walleyeguy
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I been using these baits alot this winter with no problems. I don't tip the bait though. You could try tipping the back hook and that would fix your problem.

Sometimes I have heard of people putting a piece of surgical tubing (like used for a spinnerbait) over the eye of the hook and then running it through the split ring. It will make the hook stationary.

WG
Team PDC's

fatdog
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
some older guys use a piece of rubber band so the hook doesnt do that, it works pretty good

The Bait Shop Guy
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Here's what Gary's talking about. This is a #5 Rap with a #4 treble. This works well with Raps. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on a Shiver, too. Hook is still lose, but can't swing past 90 degrees and flop over the back of the bait.

upangler
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I have had a problem all winter with the hooks flipping over the back, as have most of the guys I fish with.
$6 for a jigging rapala with a design flaw seems ridiculous, I shouldn't have to "rig" or "Fix" a bait in order to fish with it.
A hook doesn't flip over the back of a Jigging Rapala, the only thing I like is the good glow on the shiver minnow.
It glows like it's got a battery in it, but doesn't do any good if the hook is all cockamamied up on the back.
Brett

North Town
01-15-2009, 08:17 AM
I personally have not had any issues either with raps or shivers... Whether I tipped them with bait or I didn't. If you're having problems though, looks like WG's idea will fix it.

NT
Hopefull member of Team PDC!!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Some people have had this problem, and some not. It turns out there's a minor manufacturing flaw that can occur when the wire that the hook attaches to is placed in the mold just a little too far back. We're only talking about a tiny fraction of an inch. If you have two of them laying side by side, one good and one bad, you can hardly tell which is which by looking at them. Tom at Moonshine has heard these complaints and is working to correct the problem. In the meantime, the quick and easy way to fix a bad one is to take a pair of pliers set in front and behind the hook eye, and gently squeeze it together a little bit. This will move the back side of the hook eye just far enough forward to keep the hook from swinging up onto the back of the bait.

In the G
01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
One thing i always do whether its the shiver or a rap is make sure the treble has two hooks forward and one to the rear. This places the the rear hook of the treble in line with the lure. When you tip it with a minnow put it on the rear hook of the treble. The minnow will glide in line with the lure.

basshunter49829
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
i had the same problem. groovy lil mod should work

The Bait Shop Guy
01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
This should help you visualize things a little better. I took the hook off to make it easier to see.

Capt. Chris
01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
In the G beat me to the punch.

I usually upgrade and upsize my hooks on jigging raps, and when I do I line up the hooks like he mentioned. I usually don't tip my raps with bait, but the hook still sneaks up sometimes. Once I started arranging the hook as mentioned, the flipping seemed to stop.