PDA

View Full Version : Ice shack break ins

packrat
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
My wife reads the Daily Press online most evenings tonight she tells me someone's ice shack was broke into (they pushed in a wall according to the article),and equipment was taken. anyone know anything else about it? Maybe we could put solar powered motion lights on our shacks that would maybe make them nervous. they get close to the shack and the lights come on. Only $50.00 at Home Depot.

corby
01-14-2009, 08:35 AM
If it was in the paper, I'm sure it's true, but, what a shame. I don't leave anything of value in mine when I'm gone, but, that doesn't prevent morons from breaking in,doing major damage, only to find out they wasted their time...IDIOTS

RudyG
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Read the Article too... it was from a police report... Whoever it was rents out shanties and this one lost a reported 5-$600 in gear.

Unfortunately I have heard this all too often in this area. It was a problem on the west end on Lake Gogebic years ago also.. As I'm sure it is wherever ice shaties are located. The best thing we, as sportsmen can do, is watch out for each other. ie: Make mental notes about who you see acting strange around others shanties, Their transportation, coat, time.. etc.... I also think, athough, I know most guys like there solititude, it wouldnt hurt to "Know your neighbor." as you would on your street, it makes watching out for each other much easier. I realize most arent dumb enough to do it when others are around or in daylight hours but anyway we can help will hinder it.

It's a shame a fisherman can't leave his rod and reel and know it will be there when he returns!

On a side note: Someone mentioned to me the other day that some of this stuff that "comes up missing" is covered under a fella's insurance and "some" of the reports may not be exactly 100% accurate? SHAME!

big pike
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I heard that Kim "Cheif" Papineau owned the shack that got broken into. I guess he rents them out to out of town fishermen. Good business I suppose.
I was also heard that he does have an insurance policy on the shack/gear. Good for him I guess. But there's always two sides to every story. All I can say is that its a dirty rotten shame that we can't leave our equipment on the ice/in our shacks. One things for sure, I'll have my stuff locked up this year.

Good Luck!! Stay Safe, and Keep your shacks locked, better yet don't leave your belongings in it.:D

Walleye Quinn
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I got to say "Idiots is the right word". Would be nice to catch them in the act. Good luck fishing from Walleye Quinn

Eyegetr
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Chief no longer rents shacks and has not in 5 yrs. He owns one shack and it was not broke into! But I agree with the fact that just once I would like to catch the idiots who did it. Best advice is to not leave anything of value in your shacks. They can't take whats not there!

Take care and tight lines!

TailDancer
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Yea it is pathetic this past monday I am working in Milwaukee building a hotel by the airport and my van was parked 25 feet away from the building fully loaded with tools and at 8:15 am somebody stole my van in broad daylight at the job UNBELIEVABLE there is scum everywhere and alls we can do is try and look out for each other and hopefully catch these scum bags in the act someday and then its time for a good old fashioned BEAT DOWN!!! Did get the van back the next day Empty tho good thing I got insurance but that is besides the point!! I cant stand theives so everyone keep their eyes open cuz theives are everywhere!! LUK2ALL!!!!!!

backwoods
01-17-2009, 08:27 AM
i sleep in mine regular think i will start shutin the lights out early parkin at my buddys shack seif if i can catch somthin besides fish
just got to figure out how to fit them down the hole so i can put them back

big pike
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Real sorry about the false information about chief I had been told that by another angler. Apparently he was incorrect, nothing against chief or anyone who knows him. He's one hell of a fisherman. wish I would have caught the kind of fish he has. Anyway, my apologies, I'll have to check what people say before I post.

Good Luck Fishing Everyone!!!

corby
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Thats why I don't leave anything in my shack and I have nothing over the windows either, so they can see there isn't there to steal...

F.Y.I.- selling my sleeper shack if anyone wants more info contact me via email at corbettshawn@yahoo.com...Thanks