PDA

View Full Version : heater/cooker

BassMan67
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, so I froze most of the day saturday do to another "Mr.Buddy" heater that wouldn't keep burning and never did work good. I've decided the best way fo me to go is with a paulin or Mr heater "heater/cooker". My problem is I don't know of anywhere around gladstone/escanaba are that sells them. Anyone know a a local store that handles them, or know of a good online place to buy?
Oh ya, fished all day saturday out from kipling and caught 13 decent perch and some dink walleyes in 31'. Dang I'd like to catch a keeper walleye this year.

Kevin Lee
01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=BassMan67;19555]Ok, so I froze most of the day saturday do to another "Mr.Buddy" heater that wouldn't keep burning and never did work good. I've decided the best way fo me to go is with a paulin or Mr heater "heater/cooker". My problem is I don't know of anywhere around gladstone/escanaba are that sells them. Anyone know a a local store that handles them, or know of a good online place to buy?
Oh ya, fished all day saturday out from kipling and caught 13 decent perch and some dink walleyes in 31'. Dang I'd like to catch a keeper walleye this year.[/QUOTE

There night not be anything wrong with your Mr Heater. I thought we had problems with them too until I realized the heater was just doing it's job. I had it happen again a couple trips ago. Does your heater just go out for no apparent reason. And do you starting yawning? IF so, it might simply be there is not enough oxygen getting to your heater. A couple trips ago, the darn heater went out. Of course it was at "primetime". But anyway, I tried restarting with no success. So then I opened a couple vents on the shanty to let some fresh air in and it started right up. It just wasn't getting enough oxygen. Try giving it some fresh air the next time it goes out on you...

BassMan67
01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Kevin. I returned the Mr.Buddy, and yes you may be right it was "doing it's job" by shutting off. However after doing some on-line research of other forums it looks like you may or may not get a good one of these heaters. I think in Mr. Heaters quest for saftey; they may have a good bunch of units out there with over sensitive sensors on them causing them to shut off. My homemade portable has plenty airflow, trust me. No headaches from lack of fresh air. Thanks again for your reply and also for all the other good info you submit on this great forum.

steve l
01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I own one of these and have never had issue with it. I don't know if it has a low oxygen sensor though. I use it for ice duty and camping and it's awesome. One thing though and this is true with any heater is it is not forgiving with mono or nylon that gets too close to it.

pikeman
01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Replaced the regulator and installed one of their fuel filters and it worked fine since.

river runner
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Been there...
The unit is dirty. I have several and after time, if you dont use the filter they get oil deposits in the gas line.
They have a cleaning procedure that will fix the problem.

First is to use a q-tip and alcohol and clean the pilot hole in front of the
burner plate. Then use a air can and blow in there.
That usually takes care of it, their tech line is helpful.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
If you can't find one of the heater/cookers locally, we'd be happy to order one for you. I don't know the price of one right off hand. Stop in or give us a call at the shop (906-786-1488,) and we can let you know. We normally place our weekly orders on Sunday night. If anyone needs something special ordered, try to let us know before then. Depending on which wholesaler we go through, the orders are usually here in 2 to 4 days.

You may want to look at some other options before going with the heater/cooker model. I had one before going with the Buddy. Even on the lowest setting, it would cook me right out of the shack. I constantly had to light it, then turn it off which was a bit of a PITA while trying to fish. The smaller models that mount right onto the propane tank/bottle should throw off more than enough heat for most portables.

tms
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
dont know if you can find one anymore but my focus 5 heater is prabrably the best i have used