PDA

View Full Version : The Great Line Question

SuperiorChrome
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
So I've been going back and forth on what line I should be using for jigging walleye on the bay. For the last two years I've been using strictly flouro, but I've varied in strength. I've gone anywhere from 4lb flouro to 15lb flouro. I can't say I've noticed a marked difference in catch rate, but then again being a weekend warrior I take what I can get in terms of action when I can get down there. That being said, I would be interested in the preferred line weight for jigging walleye. I'm pretty much a jigging rap style bait user.

Capt. Chris
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I use 12 lb, on both tip-ups and jigging.

I use it on both strickly because it's what I have. I like it a little heavier than some because I really like to give the jigging raps a hard snap, and sometimes those big momma's really pound hard when they take it on the up-stroke.

Like you, I tried a couple of different sizes in the past and noticed little difference. When they turn on, they turn on.

Rainbow Roper
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Fireline with 18" of 8 lb flourocarbon. Advantage of no stretch through most of the line and invisible for the last 18".

finaddict
01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
On my reels I use 15/4 power pro as a main line and then a 10# fluoro leader. I don't really use the fluoro for the invisibility factor, but rather due to its abrasion resistance. Not all fluorocarbon is created the same...there is normal fluoro to spool with and then there is leader material. The fluoro I use is Seagar Leader Line and it is very stiff, abrasion resistant, and expensive. I use the same Seagar for leaders on my tipups and for steelhead fishing in the rivers.

Good luck-

CaptainKenLee
01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I guess I'm a traditionalist, I still like mono for most of my fishing on the bay, however I do use some of the super lines when fishing extremely deep water. It's just easier to feel some of the light hits in deep water with fireline or power pro. I like 8lb Trilene xl on my reels. On tip-ups I use 15lb. braided dacron. On my reels I use an 18 to 24 inch section of 8lb. Carbon Pro leader line by Seaguar, and on tip-ups I use a 3 to 5 foot section of the same leader line. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best leader line out there. Like Fin said, it's expensive, but well worth it. I used to always just fish outside walking from hole to hole and mono just works better for that, now that I'm getting a little soft and sit in a shanty I've been using more of the super lines. If you fish outside with the superlines, they tend to absorb some water and can kink up, which I can't stand. When the fish are under you and biting, I like to open the bail and let the bait fly back down to the fish. It's not a problem though if you're sitting in a nice cozy portable. Good question...good luck fishing!

RudyG
01-10-2009, 01:57 AM
SuperiorChrome ... That was a good question.. thanks for asking it because the replies taught me a few things.. thanks guys! As always.

SuperiorChrome
01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to continue to experiment, but I'm pretty much in the same opinion as the rest.

springfield
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I also like the mono line, I use 6# to 8# of Maxima. Its a tough line without a ton of stretch but still not rock solid like the Super lines. I leave a loose drag (I like a little drag on my hook set, just a little) so to let the fish keep the hooks set not just the short jiging pole. I try not to mess with it while fighting a fish if anything I'll finger the spool a little during the fight. This really helps when you get a hog up close & he or She takes a run, on a tight line or drag he'll pull the hooks alot of the time. I use it on white fish as deep as 80 ft with good luck, at that depth its a little tougher but makes for lots of fun.

Mark

walleyeguy
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
6/20 power pro with a 12 lb leader Maxima is what I am using.

springfield
01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Come on Walleyeguy! Give them poor fish a chance, 12lb leader! LOL!!!!

Battler
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
What type of knot have you found that works the best with stiff leader lines?

finaddict
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I always use palomar knots whenever possible. Make sure to wet the line before you snug it tight...especially with fluoro.

Battler
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks, that is what I tied all my leaders with this year. I have tried using superline for leaders and have not had good luck.