PDA

View Full Version : Wind and Walleyes

Wausau Walleye
01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Wondering how the wind affects the fishing on Little Bay. Whats considered the best wind.
Thanks Good Fishing

CaptainKenLee
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
It depends on if you're talking ice or open water. You might get lots of different views on this one. For open water fishing...anything but a west wind is fine. A west wind is the worst wind you can have in my opinion for open water fishing out here. Had some of my best days on the bay this past summer with a north wind. I guess I would say a south/southeast wind is my favorite. For ice fishing...I don't really look at wind direction much, I do look at the barometer and that determines where we fish more than anything. The wind does affect the currents in the bay under the ice, but I can't say that a particular wind direction is better than another for ice fishing. Good question...

Wausau Walleye
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, talking about the ice bite. I here alot of people talking about the bite being good until the wind switched, could be the bite was just over. Heading up this friday any suggestions for location or water depth. We are mostly tip up fishermen that like to soak large suckers.
thanks again

It depends on if you're talking ice or open water. You might get lots of different views on this one. For open water fishing...anything but a west wind is fine. A west wind is the worst wind you can have in my opinion for open water fishing out here. Had some of my best days on the bay this past summer with a north wind. I guess I would say a south/southeast wind is my favorite. For ice fishing...I don't really look at wind direction much, I do look at the barometer and that determines where we fish more than anything. The wind does affect the currents in the bay under the ice, but I can't say that a particular wind direction is better than another for ice fishing. Good question...

SheHateMe
01-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I always noted that with a good south blow (When fishing south of Gladstone) it would cloud up the water a little bit. Seemed to extend the bite and make the fish seem less spooky.