PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Question

rusty-hooks
01-06-2009, 09:58 PM
What does everyone recommend and or use on the ice. Looking for some input. Thanks in advance. Also does anyone know of anyone selling a used
8" power auger.

needham
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
here is a link to a new gps/grapf i think you may be intrested in, it also boubles in the summer for your boat. Cabelas has them on sale. here is a link to view http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Full-Size-SonarGPS-Chartplotter-Combos/LMS-522C-iGPS/
also check out this auger I just bought one http://icegator.com/icegator-dvd.html

good luck fishing

fatdog
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
you cant beat a vexilar 8 or 18 and for a auger get a jiffy, proven reailibility and performance is always a winner. ive used a lowrance X67 and a showdown, both are ok but i perfer a vexilar fl 8 or 18

finaddict
01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
In my opinion the top three manufacturers would be Lowrance, Vexilar, and Marcum in no particular order. If going with Vex I would check out the Fl-18 or the newer Fl-20. If choosing a Marcum I would look at the LX3 or better yet the LX5. I prefer the Lowrances and use the 522 and it is the bomb, but the x67 works great and can be found for under $300 and would probably be your best choice on a budget.

Good luck-

Capt. Jim McDonald

bmauntler
01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I would agree with fin on Lowrance being the best brand. They are way easy to use (not saying you won't need to experiment, but very user friendly) and the most reasonably priced.

Before I got schooled on the ice one night :mad:and started using electronics, I started with a vexilar. When I saw how versatile a graph is (for finding multiple species of fish, transition to open water, and the price) I switched over. I have no regrets for switching...Just my 2cents.

Ben

walleyeguy
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Rusty,

What you looking to pay for the 8" I may know someone who has one.

As far as electronics, I have owned both marcum and vexilar flashers, In my opinion, the marcum is better, better features such as adjustable zoom, quieter, more power.

I like a flasher much better than the lowrance style units, but that is my preference and can be debated for ages on why.

WG

rusty-hooks
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you for the feedback! As far as the auger goes I'm not sure what I'd pay on a used one. I guess it all depends on condition, age, make. What do ya have and what are ya tryign to get for it?

rusty-hooks
01-07-2009, 06:47 PM
here is a link to a new gps/grapf i think you may be intrested in, it also boubles in the summer for your boat. Cabelas has them on sale. here is a link to view http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Full-Size-SonarGPS-Chartplotter-Combos/LMS-522C-iGPS/
also check out this auger I just bought one http://icegator.com/icegator-dvd.html

good luck fishing

That ice gator auger is pretty neat. i just wonder how it'll hold up. How do you like the ice gator?

needham
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I just bought it and I will be trying it this weekend. they state you can drill 90 holes on one charge with a 8 inch auger. it drills through 5" of ice per second and much quiter. It also can back flush the hole by reversing the motor. I dont belive i will have any trouble starting it the cold weater.

peanutbutter soup
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
i've had a vexilar fl8 for 5 years....i won't go ice fishing without it.

steve l
01-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey,
Any auger that runs well and has sharp blades and is in good shape at your price is a good one. It is like Ford vs Chevy, taken care of they're all good. I own an Vex FL8 (for over ten years) and never ice fish without it. Vexilar also has just about the best service I've experienced to date. But I also own a Lowrance X67 ice machine- which I use on the bow in open water and I like using that one too. Especially when my wife or a friend fishes with me. I too own an LMS522C, it's my main unit on my Crestliner and when I upgrade to a new Lowrance HD unit(very sweet stuff) I'll likely use the 522 for ice duty.
That and I've had a model 30 Jiffy for a long time and have had no issues. They're all good.

SuperiorChrome
01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I have an older Marcum LX1 that I love, but I did have the chance to fish with the new Hummingbird ICE45 yesterday. If my Marcum died today I would get that Hummingbird without hesitation. Great unit, large display and plenty of added functions.

needham
01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I just bought it and I will be trying it this weekend. they state you can drill 90 holes on one charge with a 8 inch auger. it drills through 5" of ice per second and much quiter. It also can back flush the hole by reversing the motor. I dont belive i will have any trouble starting it the cold weater.

I used the Ice Gator today and Wow were we all impressed 3 of us experinced the speed and durability. we drilled approx 15 holes and it never slowed down and we drilled 10" of ice in 2 seconds. and it was quiet.

I can now recommend this to all, and know you will love it.

Dan N