PDA

View Full Version : Barge at Coal doc

fishon83
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Does any one know if they are going to break up the channel at the coal doc?
Want to test the waters off the mouth of the escanaba river but dont want to travel from the terrace to get there.

Any input would be great.

raywriter
01-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I previously mentioned heading out south of the Terrace, and I returned breifly on Sunday morning. The ice was firmer and there were quite a few shanties there. I also saw some out from T.D. Vignette's boat yard. I am not sure when or if the barge will leave, but there are some shanties potentially in the way! There were shacks right at the actual river mouth as well.

On another note, I drove around the point of the harbor in Escanaba on Monday late afternoon and saw several shanties way out in the bay. I'm not sure if they went out of Escanaba or from Stonington, but they sure seemed to be in a bad spot if any boats came through. They were south of the lighthouse and a mile or so east.

Finally, I wonder what species they were targeting out there? I suppose whitefish or burbot, but I have personally caught perch out that deep (must have been fifty feet or so out there). Walleyes have to move through that part of the bay as well, but that sure is big water that far out and not much structure except for very deep rockpiles and the occasional wreck.

fishon83
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Word of mouth i just got is they broke it up.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Posted on Boatnerd.com, "Vessel Passage," "Escanaba" (thanks for the heads up, Scott!)

"January 5, 2009 - With the cancellation of the J R Block and the American Mariner, the ore dock in Escanaba will be shut down until further notice, perhaps as much as two months. The John G Munson is expected in with a load of coal for Escanaba this week, however."