PDA

View Full Version : favorite camp sites

spiderboy
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been fishing the Mercer area for 20 years but have never camped on the flowage. Thought that i would poll all of the campers out there to find out which sites are most preferred and why. Also, my understaning is that the sites are available on a "first come - first serve basis" - has anyone had any trouble with people overtaking a campsite after it has been claimed?

DonH
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
We camped for years. Usually stayed in the lower part of the flowage (Rat Lake or Lake Ten areas). What made us change and start renting a cabin (besides getting a lot smarter) was an incident about 4 years ago. Our group consists of 3 fathers and our grown sons. Our group that year was 8 guys (it varies between 6 and 9 most years). One day we're eating lunch at our campsite and we receive a visit from some DNR rangers. It seems these sites have a maximum of 6 people. There are a few sites around the flowage that allow larger numbers of people, but not the one we were camped at.

So we were issued a ticket for something like $180.00 (if I remember correctly). He also told us that he could ticket us for having tents in non-approved spots. Since there is no map on the island indicating where tents can be placed, that confused us. Anyway, 2 of us had to pack up and camp elsewhere. We were together for meals and stuff, but it became a bit of a bummer. Then a couple days of rain, and a building with a roof tends to look better and better.

Now we rent a large cabin, with beds, toilets, a furnace, a pier to dock our boats, and a frig to keep certain refreshments nice and chilled. Last spring we had a day that got down to 23°. When we came in at night (after dark), the first thing we all said was thank goodness we're not camping. Then we turned up the heat and played some cards!

LundAngler
01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I can relate! In 2007 four of us camped on the big water and froze our keesters off. It was windy cold and miserable in a tent. A warm bed would have been awesome. Where do you stay?

Packer Backer
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
My brothers and I spent a weekend camping this past summer and had a blast, plan on making it an annual. We also heard that you couldn't have more than 6 people at a site. Thats a real bummer since we were looking at bringing our sons as well. I don't really know where we stayed, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure theres a bad one out there!

LundAngler
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, we have some fun times roughing it on the flowage, it's just a bummer when the weather turns on you, and all you have is a thin piece of nylon between you and the elements.

As for the max capacity on the campsites, there are several larger islands with multiple sites, and there are also some islands that are pretty close together if you had to split up a large group.

mikesgotone
01-05-2009, 12:59 AM
just out of curiosity.. why is there a 6 person limit on some camp sites. Ive seen most of them. and they are plenty big. I could understand not wanting tons of people. but six seems a bit low. just wondering. it doesnt affect me. the last couple years we rented fort flambeau. its awesome! the old bar is still there. along with the pool table, and the old fish on the walls. not to mention the six bedrooms, three baths, and two kitchens. the bar area is my favorite. get a big group to split the bill, and you're golden.

DonH
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi Again,

I realized that I never answered one part of the initial question. We've camped for years and never had a problem with anyone bothering our site or trying to take our site from us. We leave all kinds of gear just sitting out and nothing was ever touched.

I also agree with LundAngler. Some of the times we camped were the best times of the year. Sitting by the fire and hearing the loons last call all around you is just awesome. Unfortunately, we ran into a couple back to back years of tough weather, and having arthritis, being cold and wet isn't conducive to good times. We either rent a cabin from Ken and Audrey at Cry of the Loon, or one of the large cabins from Lake Bastine Lodge, but there are many cabins and resorts to stay at. Check Accommodations & Services on this site.

One day we were heading to Donners Bay to stock up on some supplies (we were running low on beer). It was cold and had been pouring rain for over a day. My buddy looked over and said sarcastically "what are those square structures, look they even have roofs, who would ever stay in one of those". Well, that got us to thinking, and we've rented a cabin the last 4 years. I'm sure I'll camp again when the grandkids are ready for that kind of adventure, but that's a few years away.

To answer PackerBacker, we never camped in the summer. It was always an early spring thing and we've had more than our share of tough, cold times. The first time I took my boys camping on the TFF, it snowed the first day! They were like 10 and 11 and talk about a miserable day. To this day (Scott is 34 and Randy is 33), we still like the spring and fall fishing and also the solitude before and after the summer vacation stuff. Our trips are in May, September, and October. This year our spring trip is late, the week after Memorial Day so we'll be on the water in early June. We've only done June once before and we caught the mayfly hatch dead on.

spiderboy
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your responses. I can appreciate having a roof overhead when a nasty front comes thru but something about the camping adventure intrigues me. Also thought that camping might allow us to stay out fishing for the night bite rather than trying to navigate a long way back to a cabin in the dark.

Paul Rothenberger
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
All of the sites are pretty good but the 6 per campsite rule is checked and enforced. We stay in two sites close together and just follow the rules and the DNR is fine. If something is amiss they just tell you what they want you to do and if you do it with respect it is a non issue.

No one will bother your stuff or try to steal your site. We have never had issues with other campers and have been camping on the flowage since 1953. Well not me I was not even born yet but thats when my father and Uncles started camping.. If the site you want is full then just go to the next one.

Enjoy the flowage!

Paul

George
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll second Paul's advice on dealing with the DNR. Limiting your responses to "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" always seems to work out better for everyone.

ski2313
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
The reason the for 6 person limit is for sanitation reasons.. there's only so much room to dig the "crap holes", and because of the location of the sites, it is not feasible or even legal to transport the human waste across the waters to dispose of it. They have and will shut down sites permanently as the holes begin to fill up.

As far as the cold weather while camping, that's what a good sleeping bag is for! :)

It's hard to beat drinking around the campfire at night with the loons going, and a couple of shore rods set out with bells on them for late-night walleyes..

BrianTheFIB
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Spider, I've stayed at the following sites and I recommend them all: C6, C9, D9, D8, and D2. D2, which is in Blair Lake, is an excellent site, but if the water level is low you may have a hard time getting your boat through the inlet. Have fun!

George
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey Ski! Thanks for the straight poop on the campsites! :D

beelzebob
04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I like the one at the entrance to Rat Lake. Sitting by a fire listening to a Brewers game, puffing a cigar with cold one in hand, fish fry in my belly...... loons calling from all directions, the soothing hiss of a coleman lantern, a warm fire on your shins. Then to be awakend by an eagle's stuttering scream over your tent and you roll out to take stock and start the coffee - you cannot match the camping on the Flowage anywhere in this state.

spiderboy
04-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the reponses. Thought of a couple more questions - are there outhouses or do you just dig a hole & let r go? How about firewood - BYO?

Tom502
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Spiderboy,

If you get a chance take some time to review the WI-DNR website for the TFF. Most all of your questions will be answered there (link below).

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/facilities/turtleflambeau/index.html

Specifically, each campsite has an "open-air" pit toilet already in place, and to be legal you need to get firewood within 50 miles of the TFF.

I am guessing that you are better off bringing wood with you (from within 50 miles of the TFF) as there may not be much "dead and down" wood available near your campsite. Maybe Ski1234 or some of the other frequent campers can help out with sources for firewood.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

George
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Here's the rule on the transportation of firewood...

Chapter NR 45.04 (1) (g), Wisconsin Administrative Code
Relating to regulation of firewood entering department lands and
affecting small businesses.
NR 45.04(1)(g). No person may possess firewood that originates
from greater than 50 miles from the campground on that property
where the wood will be used, or the property itself if there is no
campground, or from outside the borders of the state. Firewood from
sources approved by the department of agriculture, trade and
consumer protection is allowable. Firewood includes all wood,
processed or unprocessed, intended for use in a campfire. The
department may seize and dispose of firewood possessed in violation
of this paragraph.
Note: Consistent with preventing the spread of Emerald Ash
Borer and other invasive forest pests and diseases and at the
discretion of department staff on department property, the definition
of “processed wood” does not include dimensional lumber that is
dried, debarked, smoothed and solid wood. Processed wood referred
to in the rule does include wood that is rough-hewn, with bark, not
dried, pallets, slabs, or similarly minimally processed forest products
which may not be brought onto state properties unless harvested
within 50 miles of the area where it will be used and from within the
state.

beelzebob
04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I haven't had too much trouble scrounging up enough wood, if the island seems cleaned out, pull up on a state owned stretch of shore and you'll quickly fill up. I have never brought wood with me as it is large, heavy, and unneccessary cargo. Unlike beer.
Remember, no driftwood, and bring a decent bowsaw.