PDA

View Full Version : Ice conditions

nick k.
12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
warning to anybody planning on fishing near the gladstone docks. there is very thin ice and pockets of open water where the barge came in earlier this winter... Use extreme caution in that area. Good luck fishing!

The Bait Shop Guy
12-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the "heads up," Nick! With the thick fog, it has the makings of a very bad situation!

jerkbait
12-28-2008, 03:53 PM
we fished near saunders pt access we were on the northwest side of the chop ice formed from the barge and ice was around seven inches thick. there were about eight more people out towards the open hole that always forms not sure if its open this winter. lots of water and slush on the ice the roads were like rivers but ice should be fine long as the temps get down again... lost 2 at the hole and one nice about midway up... not sure why my hooks wouldnt stick i replaced my trebles with larger ones on my raps maybe it was my braided line? gonna switch lines today i think i know i iced fish last year with braid. oh well good luck out there and be carefull...

jerkbait

jtourangeau
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I bend my trebles out a bit and the ft and bk hooks.Still lose em at times but that will happen.Mostly I make adjustments for confidence.Everything helps a little.I also tie in about 4' of florocabon leader.Very sloppy and wet today,hard time w/snowmobiles.couple perch and small eye in 32' mud flats.jig rap ggt no bait .time 4 new boots!