PDA

View Full Version : average walleye size for keeper ?

Joe271828
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Just curious what the average size of a keeper walleye in the TFF is.
I had fish two days there and kept 3. 18.5,19 and 22 inch. Not Huge but I was very happy just to catch a real walleye.
Had fish in Pine lake and had only caught "smalleyes" before, so for me these were tremendous !!!

Also this post is way late, caught em in the fall.

Last note: I had posted before that there was a 4 foot musky in Tank Lake (gran portage). I have since found out that the king has been caught, and the biggest is back down to near the min length of keeper for the lake. 35" or so. There's plenty of small perch and small bluegill so they shoudl grow quickly though.

Randy
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
If my three fish limit consisted of an 18.5" a 19" and a 22" I'd have to check my tape measure to make sure somebody didn't cut the first four inches off!

We have a travelling trophy within our group that is awarded to the guy who catches the biggest walleye on our spring trip each year. We've come across some pretty tough weather in recent years but the winning walleye is usually between 19" and 22". Oddly enough our group has caught 3 fish that measured 24 3/4" which are our biggest fish in the AS (after spearing) era. A few years back I lost a walleye that looked to be in the 25" to 28" range. Before my swivel broke I saw just enough of the fish to keep me up at night.

After all that, to answer your question I'd have to say our typical stringer consist of walleye in the 14" - 18" range. Not to say a 20 incher is an oddity but we usually snap a phot when one is caught.

Joe271828
12-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Guess I was lucky than :) It was an extremely warm day, like 70 and a sunday with a ton of people in the deep area between springstead and fisherman's landing (closer to the springstead landing).
But since I didn't want to break the boat the first time fishin there and getting there from fisherman's landing was well... I guess that takes some getting used to.
It was a beautiful day, not to mention driving to the launch was like driving thru a tunnel of yellow.