PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Jigging in the river?

gfishes
09-19-2017, 06:44 AM
Our local muskies inc meeting this week went into great detail about vertical/slightly vertical jigging presentations (in particular with the aid of Panoptix). LSC, Detroit river and our local Alum Creek reservoir were the main bodies of water. I was surprised to hear that many of the fish come in 8-15 fow. With Garmin Panoptix, the fisherman can see that most of the fish are coming right off the bottom.

Has anyone tried Bondy's or other vertical jigging methods in the river?

Red Childress
09-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes, been doing it for years. Same concept these days but vastly improved baits since the early-90's. The October Tubes were originally invented to be jigged in the fast current of the Niagara.

Red Childress
09-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Actually, the first musky I ever caught was on a plain 2oz. lead-head jig with a dead Chub. Fuzzy Duzzits were the first jigging lures I can remember buying.

gfishes
09-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Nice! Red, any thoughts on ideal depth for this presentation? For some reason I have it in my head that all of the fish are located somewhere between my boat and the shore. The more I read, it sounds as if many fish are located right on the bottom; which could be right under the boat. Most of the water I target, I am drifting in 8-10 fow and casting into shore.

Red Childress
09-20-2017, 01:59 PM
If fishing rivers with a current speed of about 3-4+ mph, they will most likely be very near bottom OR positioned downstream of a structural element to save energy. In lakes, find the bait depth and fish right above it (for starters).

gfishes
09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Nice, I might have to pick up a Red October tube. They appear to be cast-able as well.

Red Childress
09-22-2017, 08:47 AM
There are a few different styles. Vertical and horizontal specific tubes on their site.