View Full Version : New site should launch today

Red Childress
08-11-2016, 08:29 AM
We put the finishing touches on the new site yesterday and should see it today. It will be much more compatible with hand held devices with a much higher resolution. After I become proficient with editing the basic format, we will add calendars and weather/water report widgets (among other items) later this month.

Registering for the Fishing Reports board will be very easy as well.

I will not be on the river very much at all this month due to recent medical events but still plan to fish LSC later this month. I will (hopefully) provide some favorable reports. The last 2 years we have battled severe cold fronts the entire time we were there. Last year, the lake dropped 13 degrees and 9 degrees the year before but the fishing was still pretty decent once we got closer to the river. We hope to stay on our main casting WPTs this year and avoid the longer run to the river area.

I did hit Chautauqua 2.5 weeks ago with a guide friend of mine and we got the hooks in 5 fish while casting but nothing in the net.

Good luck out there!

ttabaleulb
08-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Hey Red. Glad to see the site back up and running. Look forward to the new options.

Good luck up at LSC. Those cold fronts that you mention sound like the conditions my brother and I hit back in June on my only trip out so far. Temps had been in the 70s. Well, wicked cold front came thru the night before our trip of course. We were fishing in air temps in the 40s the first morning with 20-30mph winds of course. You know how much fun it can be to try casting a fly in those conditions. LOL It took some serious work, but we had our chances and were lucky to put a few in the net. Hope you guys get great condtions for the trip. Look forward to some reports. Looks like I won't be getting back out until September sometime.

Jay

Red Childress
08-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you guys were able to grind-out a few well-deserved fish. Now that my shoulder is fixed well enough to fly fish, I really want to spend some time chasing them on the fly myself. I think I would be a blast nite fishing for them with big poppers and giant streamers. That will likely be my focus next summer unless I wuss out and stay in my comfort zone.:)

ttabaleulb
08-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Yep, we were seeing fish, just had a really hard time getting them to eat.

I agree, I think the night fishing would be pretty crazy on a fly. Especially with topwater. Hell, now that you mention it, that might be the best way for me to learn not to pull the damn fly away from a fish on a surface attack. At this point, I could probably write a book on how not to set the hook on a topwater bite. LOL The numbers are just staggering.

Jeff even tried out the flyrod on the last trip for a bit. He ended up having a follow or two before jumping back to conventional. It can be tough to mentally make that transition early on. Things tend to feel so unnatural mechanically at first. Hell, I've even been teaching myself to cast and strip with my off-hand to help with some tendon issues in my hand. Thats been a real treat. I do have to say though, it seemed to help on that trip with decreased wear and tear, so I'll try to stick with it. Will be a hoot hooking into my first fish and trying to fight it with that arm though.