PDA

View Full Version : Tough couple of days

Red Childress
05-31-2016, 05:50 AM
Fished on Friday and Saturday and spent Sunday/Monday relaxing and finishing up some home chores. Chased trout Friday and even used livebait but only landed 1 decent rainbow and missed a few other nippers. Chased muskies on Saturday and could only muster 1 pike with 0 follows. Water temps are in the 55-59 range so I am guessing we may have some lingering fish just finishing their spawn. Crazy Spring both weather-wise and fishing-wise.

regmeister
05-31-2016, 05:55 AM
Oh No, say it aint so red. Is anything biting? Do you expect the fishing to improve any time soon, or is this the norm for the time of year.

Red Childress
05-31-2016, 06:10 AM
Far from the norm for sure. I think the freaky Spring weather has had a ripple effect plus we are dealing with a horrible floating "mossy-type growth" situation in most parts of the river in and around Warren/Tidioute. I definitely expect things to get much better very soon. Water temps still climbing in a consistent manner which is exactly what we need. Gotta keep on grinding it out.

ppalko
05-31-2016, 10:44 AM
That crazy algae makes a mess. If memory serves me, when it occurs, it peaks in mid-June and goes away. At least it looks like normal weed-growth throughout the river will actually occur as water levels/clarity will permit that this year.

Red Childress
05-31-2016, 11:29 AM
I hope so. It is the stuff that gets so long that it tears away from the bottom and suspends throughout the column. The river bottom is covered with it in many places.

Red Childress
06-06-2016, 05:55 AM
We moved some nice fish over the weekend but had difficulties keeping them hooked. Seemed like most all species were a little lethargic and striking short (excluding trout because we did not chase them). We did not use livebait, however. Biggest musky we saw was in the 4-foot range and maybe a little larger. I did pull my lure away from a beautiful tiger (only the 6th one I have ever seen here on the river) that was super hot and actually nipped the tail of my mini-Medussa on the first turn of the 8 and was coming back for more when I pulled the plug. My gang casted back on her but no luck.

Expecting some higher discharge levels coming this week.

We had some horrible winds yesterday with power outages everywhere. Downed trees in my backyard with substantial wind damage around these parts.