PDA

View Full Version : Waterbeast Tackle "Mega Wraith" Demo

Red Childress
03-01-2016, 07:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfGdjt94UOg&feature=em-subs_digest

ttabaleulb
03-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Red,

I really dig that action. It is VERY similar to what I end up with for the flies that I tie!! And the closer I look, the more it looks a lot like some that I tie. I'm a big fan of adding a lot of flash/synthetic material. I'll have to tell my brother about these baits. He's always trying to steal my damn flies!

Red Childress
03-03-2016, 07:21 AM
I was just discussing a bait like that with a basement lure guy on Tuesday. Exact same concept and made of plastic or dense wood. These look nice for sure!

ttabaleulb
03-03-2016, 09:09 AM
I agree, definitely looks pretty wicked. I was thinking about it a bit more last night. I've tied a few bucktails/tinsel for my brother that he's thrown on the back of some inline spinners. I'm now wondering if I might be able to tie something similar onto the body of a spoon type bait. That could have some pretty interesting action and also be pretty darn weedless. Might have to get some materials together and see what kind of frankenstein I can create for him to try.

ppalko
03-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Funny that you mention the spoon idea. I messed around with rigging spoons with single hooks and various plastics, mainly big twister tails. I did not experiment much as I stuck with what was working on most trips, but this creation was nice for fluttering around structure. Hard to move quickly as you'd expect.

ttabaleulb
03-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Yep, I figured that spoon action would be quite different that any of the blades being used for that type of thing. I think the trick would be finding a good weight ratio of the spoon to fur/flash material to give it enough weight to cast but bouyant enough to hang in the water a bit during the pause. Thats one of the things that I love about the action of flies is the amount of time that I can keep them in a particular zone before having to impart more action to them. No matter what, it seems like it could be a fun little project.

ppalko
03-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Another option is to mess with Chatterbaits. I plan to alter a few to make them articulated. We've had a lot of success with medium sized (6-8 inch) chatterbaits this winter fishing them like a jig.

Red Childress
03-22-2016, 05:23 PM
i know of a few guys jigging them successfully for walleye in the spring mud conditions and bangging lakers through the ice as well. We did well trolling them on Chautauqua for muskies too.