PDA

View Full Version : 7-6-15 Report

CaptainKenLee
07-06-2015, 05:36 PM
This morning I had the pleasure of fishing with Chris and Greg. Chris is from the San Francisco area and Greg is from the Green Bay area, with family still in the Escanaba area. I hadn't been on the water in a while, and everybody has been saying that the bite has been very tough. We left the Gladstone Harbor around 6:30 and headed to the north end. The first couple hours we were marking lots of fish, but they weren't biting too good. I think we only had 2 keepers when we decided to make a location change. We headed to a weed-bed and trolled Walleyes Choice (http://www.walleyeschoice.com) harnesses over the weed tops...and the bite got much better. We ended up with 9 keepers from 15 to 25 inches and a northern pike before we headed in early after looking at the radar. Boat control was very tough with the high winds. I had to use a drift sock tied to the bow eye, spin the trolling motor in reverse, and I put the big motor in gear to lock the prop...doing this we were able to slow down to 1 mph. Our best colors today were I-76, I-80, and I-110. Lots of undersized walleyes were released as well as a couple sheepshead and lots of small perch. Hopefully the bite just continues to get better with the water temp. finally up to 70 degrees (until tomorrow's 20 mph north wind blows it all away). Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.