PDA

View Full Version : Local Salmon???

nitecrawler128
06-25-2014, 04:03 PM
I was just wondering if any Salmon are in the Esky/Ford River area yet. I've never fished them, but the walleye fishing has been kinda lame and was thinking of giving it a try. I am aware they are in off Fairport and other areas, but I'm not driving that far to Salmon fish. Any info is much appreciated. Thx

Esky Moe
06-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Fished by the Ford River can on Monday and yanked a sheepshead. Didn't mark any baitfish so not sure if they're in the area yet. Then again this was my first time ever salmon fishing.

nitecrawler128
06-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanx for reply Esky Moe! I'm not a savvy salmon guy, so I didn't want to make a 60 mile drive to fish for something that isn't even there. If there are any reports of salmon in the area, I would like to give it a try just foe something to do:)

DooFighter
07-02-2014, 07:22 AM
No reports that I have heard for local fish. A few trickling in at Fairport. Obviously everything is late with the cold spring. If I find any fish locally I will post. However, there has not been good salmon numbers near esky/ford river in several years. That is unfortunate because I really enjoyed fishing near esky and catching good numbers of fish, but every year I spend less and less time looking for them close because they just don't seem to come here any more. Fairport and Manistique have been better bets the last few years. Sometimes Washington Island, but that can be spotty too.

Zulu
07-03-2014, 04:47 PM
I took the boat out by the Ford River Can last weekend and fished for a couple hours with no action. Marked a few fish but the wind and waves made it difficult. Historically I waited until July 4th weekend to start fishing Salmon but with several warm winters it seemed the Salmon appeared earlier and earlier. With the sever cold of last winter I would suspect to see a late start this year.

DooFighter
07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
A few fish trickling into the bay (green bay). Have not had a lot of time on the water, last time out was 7/17 went 4/8 well south of the FRC. Just keep going south, you cannot go too far unless you hit WI waters. It's a looong journey, be sure your rig is up to it. Weather out there can turn quick as well, however there are some fish out there. A little of everything working but best presentation has been cut bait.

DooFighter
07-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Got out for a few hours this morning. No early bite at daybreak but was able to scoop 4 of them in the boat on 5 hits between 8-9am. Cut bait still best on a rigger 55 down and on a diver. Leadcore also took one hit (on a Finn spoon grape knee hi) and the big fish of the day 18# and change. Too bad I had to leave to go to work.

DooFighter
08-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Sat pm (8/2) 3/7, could not keep hooks in them but landed 3. Best presentation was long leadcores with Finn grape knee hi and moonshine orange carbon. Also hit 2x was 200 copper with MOAB. Cut bait has cooled off of late for me.

Sunday morning looked awesome weather wise and was but no cooperative fish, brought home the first stinky since early in the year. Have heard reports of good catches down there but I could not replicate those results.

Stay safe out there. Heard some peeps ended up in the drink in Fpt waters this weekend.