PDA

View Full Version : Buying Minnows in Bulk

mooselegs
05-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know where we can purchase minnows in bulk quantity....30-40 dz? Our location is near Springstead.

This June, we are planning to spend two separate weeks (early June and late June) fishing the TFF. We do have equipment to keep a large qty. of minnows alive and well for a week or more.

If bulk is not available, where is the best place to buy minnows, considering our location? I am familiar with the Trading Post on Hwy 182.

Thank you.

Hot Runr Guy
05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
moose,
We made our first visit to the Turtle River Trading Company this past week, and where really impressed with the quality of the bait. Maybe give them a call?

http://www.turtlerivertrading.com/Turtle_River_HOME.html

HRG

George
05-19-2014, 06:28 PM
You're okay with 40 dozen, but be mindful that you may not possess over 600 without a bait dealers license.

It is illegal for anyone to possess more than 600 minnows except licensed bait dealers
and residents younger than 16 years who are selling the minnows for fishing bait.

I assume the 16 year old mark was passed some time ago. :rolleyes:

mooselegs
05-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi George.....thanks for the information about the limit on minnows.....I do appreciate you taking the time to point this out....Thank You...

Yes....that 16 thing passed by a number of years ago...circa...1960's....

mooselegs
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Here's a quick update on out bulk minnow purchase.

HRG suggested that we try Turtle River Trading Co...so we did. I contact Scott and he provided us with 30+ dz. extra large fatheads. This worked out exceptionally well. Kept the minnows in a 25 gal cooler for a week (changed water once per day and added ice) with a duel port aerator and sprayer.....did the job. Thanks again HRG for the tip.....