PDA

View Full Version : May 12th report

Rob Manthei
05-12-2014, 08:52 AM
From what I can tell the ice has left all of the lakes of Vilas County. There was a little hanging on Trout yesterday, but it was fishable.

Walleyes are still spawning on several lakes, and haven't started I am sure on some(but will and be done quickly).

I've been catching some females with eggs, without eggs, and of course the males are milking like crazy.

The past 2 days were beautiful days to be on the water and the fish were biting. Saturday was the Northwood's Chapter of Muskies Inc shore lunch at Fibber's and I fished with fellow guide Jeff VanRemortel and we had a blast catching 50+ walleyes and keeping 6 over 15" for the fish fry.

All my walleyes are coming from shoreline's in 2 to 7 feet of water on or near spawning habitat.

Fished crappies yesterday and pounded fish up to 14"...released all the big ones and kept some for a fry. Plastics (Kalin's, Cubbies) worked best, schooled guys close to us using minnows...

Water temps on surface got up to 54 yesterday(where I was), but today I am sure it's back to reality. Two beautiful days followed by T-storms and rain....oh I know why, Gillespie is coming today!

Yooper2
05-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Great report Rob. I am not seeing the walleyes that you are but I can't wait to see what you and Gillespie come up with for footage...