PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Limits Posted

DPW Guy
04-21-2014, 07:12 PM
The DNR web site has posted the new walleye limits. See Fishing section under Licensing and Regulations.
TFF is listed as two(2) again.

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=3184

St Croix Kid
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Not a huge surprise

sureshot612
04-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Another year of regs. that bring controversy.Down here we had an 18in. size limit when our lake was used for breading and eggs. and it was hard to find any keeper table fair fish. now we have a 16in limit and after 5 years of that its harder to find any 16 in. fish .I have been on other Wisconsin waters and see some with no limit or slot size and some of the walleyes kept were no bigger then the perch we used to catch on the TFF.How would the guys that fish the TFF feel about an honor system about only keeping fish at a certain size limit since the DNR leaves it open to no size limit.And if you are one that keeps undersize fish then you have to wear a CUBS hat. Im just sayin . and this reply is not to stir anything up its just to get your opinion while the ICE melts.

firetiger
04-22-2014, 12:59 AM
The DNR web site has posted the new walleye limits. See Fishing section under Licensing and Regulations.
TFF is listed as two(2) again.

You really have to wonder why would anyone come here to fish. If a guy wants to have a fish fry for his family you have to be a criminal. Might as well wait and go to Minn. or Green Bay.

byronbears84
04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Selfish much? There are plenty of walleyes to go around on the TFF. If there werent, the limit would be less than 2. My friends and I camped on the TFF for a week and we caught plenty of walleyes that could have been kept for a fish fry.

DonH
04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it sucks that the walleye limit is 2 right now, but that could still change to 3 (not ideal, but better). Our group comes up twice a year - spring and fall - and we pretty much agree the fishing is secondary to everyone being together is such a beautiful area. Every trip is just so special, but we will all admit, catching fish does add greatly to the experience.

We do have a limit in our boats. If it fits in a minnow net, it's a keeper. I'm only kidding. We have a size limit for our boats and we have been talking about increaing that to 15" and we might.

One thing we do have going for us is our experience. We all have been going to the TFF for years and years (me over 50) and have accumulated quite a few spots where we have success catching walleyes. We also hired Don Pemble a few years ago and we added a couple more spots that day as well.

3 walleyes a day versus 2 walleyes a day. Will that 1 fish stop anyone from spending time at the TFF? If that is a deal breaker, I feel sorry for them. Life is way too short to miss out on trips like this at a place like this with friends like this.

Have a great day.

Mark Benson
04-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Yep, this is the first year that I remember where none of the lake in Vilas or Oneida counties were all either 2 or 1... I haven't seen the numbers of walleyes that have been placed in the quota by the tribes... It would seem to me that the TFF is very similar to most of the rest of the northern bodies of water in that it is two fish... But that aside, I really try to keep all my fish under 17" as prescribed to me by a local fisheries biologist. He told me that almost anything that you hold under that mark is most likely a male. Most all the fish that are above that mark are generally females... thus I try to keep all the females in the lake. I am lucky though, I can fish most anytime I like and I can choose to keep fish or let them all go...

Having fished the TFF since the mid-80's, I know that the largest fish that one will see with any frequency is probably going to be in the 24" range. I know my brother caught a 9# fish his first trip up there and that is a monster in any body of water, but it is a true monster in the TFF!!! So if you are going to consider an honor system, there's mine for all of the lakes I fish!!!

Mark

St Croix Kid
04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Ice will be my only roadblock from fishing there. Not the the low limits

luv2brw
04-22-2014, 03:52 PM
The limit for perch is 10 per person per day, those jumbo perch make for a dam good fish fry also.

mooselegs
04-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it sucks that the walleye limit is 2 right now, but that could still change to 3 (not ideal, but better). Our group comes up twice a year - spring and fall - and we pretty much agree the fishing is secondary to everyone being together is such a beautiful area. Every trip is just so special, but we will all admit, catching fish does add greatly to the experience.

We do have a limit in our boats. If it fits in a minnow net, it's a keeper. I'm only kidding. We have a size limit for our boats and we have been talking about increaing that to 15" and we might.

One thing we do have going for us is our experience. We all have been going to the TFF for years and years (me over 50) and have accumulated quite a few spots where we have success catching walleyes. We also hired Don Pemble a few years ago and we added a couple more spots that day as well.

3 walleyes a day versus 2 walleyes a day. Will that 1 fish stop anyone from spending time at the TFF? If that is a deal breaker, I feel sorry for them. Life is way too short to miss out on trips like this at a place like this with friends like this.

Have a great day.

I agree with Don.....a (2) limit will not keep me from fishing the TFF. On a good day, we do catch more that the (2)limit....we just don't keep them.....