PDA

View Full Version : Help With 1st Year of Salmon Fishing

Esky Moe
02-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Hi all,
I'm planning on starting to salmon fish on the Bays and was wondering if anyone could help with things like time of year, time of day, basic tackle to get started etc, boat speed, etc.
Grateful for any input to help get me started!

The Bait Shop Guy
02-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Every year is different, but salmon fishing usually gets going around here in mid to late June, and lasts through September. Early in the season when the water temps are cooler, downriggers aren't absolutely necessary, if you're just getting started on a budget. Dipsey divers and leadcore will get you down to the fish without having to make a big investment. As the water warms and the fish move deeper, you will need riggers.

Typically, sunrise is the best time to be on the water, with sunset being nearly as good. 2.5 to 3 mph is a pretty average trolling speed.

Spoons are far and away the most popular lures for salmon. Moonshines are the most popular around here.

If you're just getting started, get together with a couple friends and go out on a charter with an experienced captain. You will probably learn more on a trip like that than you would spending an entire season on the water, trying to figure things out on your own.

Keep an eye on this and other outdoor sites for updates on when and where the fish are biting, and what they're hitting on. If you have any other questions, ask away. Good luck this summer.

Esky Moe
02-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much Chris. I'm sure I'll stop by before heading out. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a couple downriggers and start there. Any recommendations? Cannon has a model I've been watching online, the Uni 10 I think.
Again, thanks for the input!