PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report for last week

Ty Sennett
01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I had family and friends up last week to do some fishing we caught quite a few. The crappie were hitting pretty well toward sundown. We had quite a few in the 11 inch range one night and a good amount between 10 and 11 inches. We didn't get any over 12 inches but the weather could have had something to do with it. It was brutally cold so we didn't move around much. We pretty much stayed in the shack the whole time. We did set some tipups out and caught some really nice eating sized pike in the 28 to 32 inch range. Man, those things taste good. We also caught some really nice perch while crappie fishing. Overall it was average to above average last week but a blast to hang out with my nephews and brothers on the ice. Good times,

Ty Sennett
01-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Here are a couple pics of my Nephew Tucker with a low to mid thirty inch pike.

RobertTB
01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Ty, It's Robert. Hey, are you driving your pickup truck around on the ice of the Flowage ? As cold as it's been, I would think the ice is really thick. (Not that I, personally, like the idea of driving a pickup on the ice, being as I saw on the news that some unfortunate individual, a tree trimming dude, had his pickup fall through the ice on some lake, Winnebago, maybe ?)

Hope y'all having a great time.

Ty Sennett
01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I have not been driving a truck out there this year. I would suggest that you don't on the Chip this year. With the low water there is a lot more flow this year and a lot of thin ice near shore from soil runoff. Snowmobiles are your bet bet because you can skip over thin spots or even open areas. I've been using a UTV and snowmobiles both. I'm a little nervous in some areas with the UTV but not the snowmobile. Heading out today to try my hand at Crappies. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

RobertTB
01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Interesting. Current does exist on the Chip. Then, does current affect positioning of all species of fish or only those species that really like current ? Or, do ALL species embrace some current ?

Ty Sennett
01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
There definitely are current areas on the Chip. Some are pretty subtle while a few areas can get rolling pretty good. Wind makes more fast paced current than creek and river channel current on the Chip. I've seen it where there are really big eddies on the back side of neckdown areas when the wind switches or picks up quickly.

I remember the day the tornado went through the Hayward area a few years back. I was under the bridge by Hermans Landing(now The Landing). There was so much current that you could see a mudline of the old river channel from all the water rolling from the west to the east side. There were large tree branches popping up off the bottom of the lake. Pretty cool to see but scary at the same time.

This past season there was a drastic wind switch and you could see a lot of current rolling through the hay Creek Narrows area. The wind went from directly out of the north to switching to the south at about twenty miles an hour. It looked like a raging river by the Narrows.

I don't think fish relate to wind current areas on the Chip. I could be wrong but I have tried fishing wind current areas a lot and have come up empty handed for the most part. I would rather fish natural flow current areas like river channel areas than wind related current areas.

Hope that answered your questions. After everything I said they are still fish and if I see some current I'll still try it........I'm hard headed.

Ty Sennett
01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
There definitely are current areas on the Chip. Some are pretty subtle while a few areas can get rolling pretty good. Wind makes more fast paced current than creek and river channel current on the Chip. I've seen it where there are really big eddies on the back side of neckdown areas when the wind switches or picks up quickly.

I remember the day the tornado went through the Hayward area a few years back. I was under the bridge by Hermans Landing(now The Landing). There was so much current that you could see a mudline of the old river channel from all the water rolling from the west to the east side. There were large tree branches popping up off the bottom of the lake. Pretty cool to see but scary at the same time.

This past season there was a drastic wind switch and you could see a lot of current rolling through the hay Creek Narrows area. The wind went from directly out of the north to switching to the south at about twenty miles an hour. It looked like a raging river by the Narrows.

I don't think fish relate to wind current areas on the Chip. I could be wrong but I have tried fishing wind current areas a lot and have come up empty handed for the most part. I would rather fish natural flow current areas like river channel areas than wind related current areas.

Hope that answered your questions. After everything I said they are still fish and if I see some current I'll still try it........I'm hard headed.