PDA

View Full Version : Big fish caught and found

Red Childress
05-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I heard from a fellow river rat that a 49-50 inch fish washed up dead along his dock late last week and another 50.50 was caught and released while walleye fishing.

Congrats to the fellows for the catch and (especially) the release! You don't hear about too many 50 inch fish getting released around here......as a matter of fact that is the first 50+ inch musky I have heard of getting released (out of about 23 different fish) since 1993.

adudeuknow
07-05-2010, 12:18 AM
wow...that pretty much makes me sick to my stomach. glad i don't live up there and know a lot of those fisherman. i wouldn't be able to have respect for any of them, legal or not.

1,000,000,000,000% opposed to the keeping of any musky unless all efforts to revive are exhausted to no avail.

Trauts
07-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I know of one other 50+ being released... :D

Joe M
07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Red, I know . The same thing happens at Tionesta lake and river. They all keep anything that is legal. I ran into 2 amish guys that were telling me about a 39.5" that was caught off the Nebraska Bridge last month. They said the guy wanted so bad to keep it but was afraid of getting caught. The 2 amish and another guy told him to step on it a few times to gain the 1/2" needed. This makes me sick. They keep 4" bluegills for a matter of fact. We need to PUSH hard to get that Musky stamp for 2011. They pay to keep those 7" trout and nothing for a 40" ski. Makes no sense for me. The pa fish commission should want it also as they are hurting for more $$. Just my 2 cents...

Red Childress
07-05-2010, 04:37 PM
This thread was dug up from 2008 and when I saw it on my blackberry today, I thought someone hacked into the message board and used my moderator alias because I did not remember writing it at first........now I do.

Since we are on the topic, I have not heard about any big muskies being kept lately. I honestly think that many guys have been educated and understand that the muskies are not the "bad guy" regarding eating all the walleye, bass and trout. We, the fishermen, are our own worst enemy when it comes to killing sportfish and then scratching our heads when we cannot limit out on walleye each day "like we used to do".

Sermon over. :)

BTW, I have never heard of the "fish stretching" technique you described, Joe. Just when you think you have heard everything..........

Joe M
07-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah me neither. I think you would really have to stomp the hell out of it to get the extra 1/2 inch. The 2 amish guys said they do it. Either way it sucks. I hope I never see it happening. That horse and buggy would be chained to my trailer till the cops get there....

w pa muskie bound
07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
just let their horses loose and give them a smack on the rear they'll go right to the barn,then they have to go home and get them back to get their buggy and their boat trailer.:D