PDA

View Full Version : GPS Lake Maps

Randy Dandy
10-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Is anyone familiar with the navionics or lake master GPS maps for the TFF? More specifically, are the hazards marked or do they just show the depth contours? Any other information would be appreciated. Thanks

BretRobert1
10-16-2013, 05:20 PM
I bought my Lowrance HDS Gen 2 used, and it came with a chip, not sure which one, but I believe it's Navionics.

I just started fishing the Flowage this year, and the chip/sonar is a life saver. Mine shows both hazards and the original river channel as well as depth contours. However, I don't heavily rely on the hazard marks, which I believe are little red asterisks. Instead, I try to get familiar with an area and use waypoints to mark dangerous areas. You can also save previous routes, which can help depending on water levels.

My sonar/chip may be the most valuable tool I use when I fish the Flowage. Would definitely recommend purchasing one. If you search around on the forum, you'll be able to find some threads in which some people on here discuss which chip they prefer.

BlackDuck
10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I’m with Bret GET A CHIP , also my First year on the TFF.

Not only a life saver but… Prop, saver lower unit saver, transducer saver/you get the Idea
I purchaced the Humminbird 898c HD SI and The lake master chip, don’t know about the lawrence depth finder but here are some things I like.

Setting contours: Say the guides are posting fish in 17-20’ just set the contour highlight for that range, It makes it so easy to see the target water.

Shallow water highlight the samething.

Looking at the unit I would see my shallow water <3” highlighted in “RED” and my 17-20” target water in “GREEN”

Lake Master as far as I know does not have hazards highlighted per say but contours come up to zero. The side imaging is awesome; at Butternut Lake I can count the number of logs on each crib

Following river channels and staying out of stump fields is a piece of cake with this chip.

I would bet mine has paid for it self which is minor compared to the grief of taking out a prop or lower unit 5 miles from the boat launch

perchoreno
10-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Not only a life saver but… Prop, saver lower unit saver, transducer saver/you get the Idea
I purchaced the Humminbird 898c HD SI and The lake master chip, don’t know about the lawrence depth finder but here are some things I like.

Following river channels and staying out of stump fields is a piece of cake with this chip.

I would bet mine has paid for it self which is minor compared to the grief of taking out a prop or lower unit 5 miles from the boat launch

You and Bret sound like you are member material for the "Soon to be chagrinned club".

GPS and Chips are good stuff, but there is no way that they do what you advertise. If you really think this way, you will be very unhappy when you take out that prop or lower unit 5 miles from the boat launch. Just a heads up........many bangs dings and prop repairs later.

perchoreno
10-16-2013, 10:47 PM

You and Bret sound like you are member material for the "Soon to be chagrinned club".

GPS and Chips are good stuff, but there is no way that they do what you advertise, in terms of safety. If you really think this way, you will be very unhappy when you take out that prop or lower unit 5 miles from the boat launch. Just a heads up........many bangs dings and prop repairs later.

luv2brw
10-17-2013, 07:37 AM
You still need to watch for floating logs out there.

BlackDuck
10-17-2013, 09:26 AM
perchoreno

What chip are you using?

BD

George
10-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Black Duck. Perchoreno is exactly right. While chips like LakeMaster are wonderful and an aid to help you on the TFF, they are never to be relied upon for navigation purposes. And I'm sure they say that somewhere on their package. Remember, on the TFF there are two kinds of people...those have hit things and have lost props and lower units...and those are going to hit things and lose props and lower units.

BlueSprint07
11-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Cabela's bargain cave has chips on sale right now for all kinds. Lakemaster, Navionics, and others. I highly recommend getting a chip not just for the TFF but something that fits all the waters you fish. Most of them are State or Regional and you can quickly review what lakes they all come with.

I personally have the Lakemaster with my HB798SI and I learned more in 2 years having side imaging and my lake map than I learned the previous 7 years fishing without. That being said the Turtle is a quagmire and I firmly believe I will spend the rest of my life RE-learning it every time I visit. That's why I keep coming back.

Lastly, one of the best features for a flowage like this is the water level offset. A few of these guys like George, Don, Tiny, Tom, etc. will post pool level which fluctuates a lot throughout the year. Or save the link to the dam or DNR info they have sent it out before on previous threads. When you launch you can set the water level to plus or minus normal pool (which is what your map chip will always be based on) and it automatically adjusts the entire lakes contours. Not just HUGE for navigation but for finding fish when the boys say 7' and wood your not looking in what is really 9' on your highlighted chart.

When in doubt, go slow and crack a beer,

- Follow my blog http://wiscofishco.wordpress.com/

the other andy
11-13-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm with George and Perchoreno here. I've used Navionics and Lakemaster, both are great tools on many different lakes, but pretty much useless on the Flowage. Both can at times be wildly inaccurate, and I've watched guys keep their eyes glued to that screen and run up on rock piles that were either unmarked or shown to be 50 yards away. Waypoints and tracks are a good tool, but the actual mapping will cause more harm than good to a person who uses them for navigation.
Next time you're out there, put waypoints where the channels actually are and then compare it to where the chip says they are. 50-100 yards off in most places.

BlueSprint07
11-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Like with any other product, some guys swear by them some guys swear at them. I for one have never had any issues with my lakemaster chip but I will say I don't believe it's possible to pin point a 15,000 acre flowage to a T. I use it for reference and it's a great asset. In areas I am unsure I make my own map by idling thru and then I know where I can and can't run. Best part is you can almost always just put your trolling motor down and cast your way along with high probablity of reward.