PDA

View Full Version : Group Site

sjguzin
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Do you think they would ever consider putting in a Group Campsite down by the Beaver flats? It's our favorite area to go, but our group is now too big for down there. I'd even be willing to donate some time in helping out... Who would be a good person to contact about that?

Thanks,
Sean

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Contact Christine Paulik at the Mercer DNR station. email is christine.Paulik@wisconsin.gov or call 715.476.2240.

sjguzin
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Sent a message, so we'll see what they say. Thanks.

sjguzin
06-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Just in case anyone's interested, I got a nice reply from Christine explaining why they wouldn't put a groupsite down in the Beaver Flats.

"No we haven’t thought about a group site in that area. Several reasons account for this. First, management of the Turtle Flambeau Scenic Waters Area is guided by a master plan that was written shortly after the state’s purchase. An advisory board of both local and distant citizens guided development of the master plan. It also went out for statewide review by the public before being accepted. The master plan specifically states how many and where the campsites would be as well as how many would be family, rustic or group. To be able to put a group site in this area would require a change to the master plan which would mean public hearings and a lengthy process (up to a year or more). We have not had any requests for group sites (other than yours) and most often sites in the beaver flats area go unused. Opening weekend of fishing is about the only time the sites are full. Currently our group sites that we do offer are seldom full (including the two free group sites) so we can’t really justify adding another group site when what we have is not being fully utilized. I understand you enjoy that end of the Flowage (I personally think it is the best part of the Flowage) but I need to look at the big picture. Also, most of the comments I receive from folks that camp there like it because it is quieter and more remote than the rest of the Flowage. Adding a group site to this end would detract from that experience. "

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for looking into it and posting the answer that you received.