PDA

View Full Version : Old Haunts

Musky Mauler
06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Just wondering how many fisherman have gone out on the Flowage and have fished Donut Lake? It's been years - actually more than a decade - since I've wandered into this secretive little spot in an effort to entice a bite. Has anybody been there lately? Was it worth the effort? You know, back in the "old days" - I'm speaking of 50 years ago now - the prominent fishing boat on the Flowage was a 14-foot Alumicraft(sp?)with no more than a 9.5 hanging on the transom. You didn't lock it into the down position (all the better to bump up and ride over the stumps and leaners) and you carried a good quantity of shear pins. (Modern boaters might not be familiar with that term: "shear pin.") It did take a little longer to run from the dam all the way down to Beaver Creek, but it was easier to sneak into tangled waters and spots like Donut Lake. I'm not sure that the power boats that are popular today would be able to negotiate into such waters with any amount of ease. I'd appreciate knowing if Donut Lake would be worth a current visit.

Incidentally, I'm still trying to find that elusive and sensuous "Mattress Island" that Earl Tomek so often hinted at. I'm beginning to think that he was pulling my leg. Would one fisherman do such a thing to another?

Musky Mauler

Hot Runr Guy
06-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm with you, it was probably 10 or so years ago, certainly during a "full pool" time, that I fished in Donut. I don't remember having any sucess for my efforts, have not tried it since.

I'm one of those who hung off the back of the boat, with my brother holding my belt, to replace a shear pin. We still have the 1957 Johnson 10hp that spent many weeks on the TFF before it was retired.

HRG

Musky Mauler
06-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Still got my '68 Evinrude 9.5 and it runs great. Usually starts on the first pull. But, now it needs a new water pump. Back then, Johnson and Evinrude were twins - - couldn't tell one from the other if it didn't have any decals. Half a century ago we were sure lucky to have been able to fish the Flowage as it was. I still find myself slowing and steering around big stumps that aren't there anymore - - except in my mind's eye. Old habits die hard.

Musky Mauler

BlueRanger
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I've never even heard that name...where is it?

Hot Runr Guy
06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I've never even heard that name...where is it?

middle of the picture, just south of Pink Rock.

HRG

bobfisher1017
06-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I had about the same evinrude until about 1995, great motor, fished canada smaller lakes and all over Wisconsin, needed a little maintenance, not too much. Bought it used and served me for years.

BlueRanger
06-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Neat! I don't get over to that side often, but there's another secluded little bay southwest of Blair Lake (or due east of Fishermen's Landing) that's mostly obstructed by a bog and a couple small islands, and it's very pretty if the water is high enough to sneak in between the islands. In some past years there has been a family of otters living back in there.

BretRobert1
06-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Musky Mauler, enjoy your posts. Keep em coming.